Experience with B&W 703?

My situation, that it really matters or not, is that I haven't been able to sell my old Sequell II's, so I'm going to have to trade with the dealer - he'll give me a very fair trade price. Anyway, based on the lines he carries and my budget, my choices are limited. The 700 series seems to be my best option. I just don't like the sound of the 704's - a bit too laid back and "vailed" in the mid to high ranges. I'm waiting to get back there and audition the 703's, but I thought I might get some feedback here. Most of the reviews I've read of the 703's say the same thing; that they tend to be a bit forward and bright. I don't want to end up with an edgy or harsh-sounding speaker. Any input from those of you familiar with the 703's would be greatly appreciated.
2chnlben

Showing 3 responses by goatwuss

I recently heard the B&W 703s with some excellent equipment in a relatively well setup room. The sound? HORRIBLE. The highs were tizzy and bright, the midrange un-realistic, dynamics were lacking, bass was boomy and ill-defined. In all honestly, it was the worst sound I've ever heard a real system sound. Maybe it was a synergy thing, but I doubt it.

Try Dynaudio, Quad L series, compare to Dynaudio, or Quad L series (for less money) and you tell me which you like better.
Who knows if the ones that I heard were broken in or not - I really don't know.

However - I would strongly recommend auditioning speakers from other brands before buying the B&W 703, based on the lackluster audition I had with them. I have heard many pairs of ~$500-$1000 speakers that sounded MUCH better than what I heard.
Oskar - Chizzill. I said that I don't know if the ones I heard were burned in, who knows. The electronics were good, (middle of the Classe range gear) the room was pretty good, the sound was bad. I certainly am not convinced that no one else could like them - but I would also certainly recommend hearing what else is out there before buying them.

$500-$1000 speakers I've heard that sounded better than the 703s when I heard them-

GR Research Paradox 1
GR Research A/V
Klipsch KLF 20 (with SET amp)
Von Scweikert VR1
Dynaudio 52
GMA Europa
Quad 12L/21L
Bottlehead Straight 8

Granted, some of those are standmounts and are missing the bottom hz, but add an Adire Audio Rave sub for $400, and you're in business full range.