Expensive Dac to keep or cheaper and change overtime

Good evening all, I was wondering if people had thoughts about dacs and changing over time versus keeping an expensive unit that is upgraded.  I currently have a Gustard A22 that I do enjoy , I use I2s for SACD and USB for streaming (mainly Amazon) I have wondered about a PS Audio directstream mk2 that is said to be upgraded via new software which sounds good rather than the evolution of cheaper dacs.i have read that the previous PS Audio has been a model for 8 years which sounds reassuring. I use a Primaluna Evo 300i with Zu Audio Soul 6 , the Gustard  A22 with a Node (latest version) though that might change.,I have a PS Audio Power plant 12 , ZU Undertone Mk2 with cables by Zu and Nordost.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

grahams248

Love the one you're with and dance with the one you brought.  

The problem with this hobby, or any hobby for that matter, is that real quantitative change requires large expenditure to move ahead in a meaningfully way.

Changing one component usually cascades into more investment.  Just picking at it usually does not move the needle, or scratch the itch.  At worse it exposes the rest of the pieces as not playing along at the same level.

Your new model girlfriend now needs even more expensive jewelry.

A good sounding DAC is a good sounding DAC full stop for me. I am currently using a 12 or so year old DAC, the Yamamoto YDA-1 and it sounds fantastic. I don't personally care about hi-rez recordings but it can do 24/96 when I come across it. No plans to change unless my now 27 year old AN DAC returns from the shop!

@akg_ca We are still eagerly waiting for your response as to what you deem to be “ Illusory and fleeting bragging rights limited by negligible material available currently to enjoy or showcase”. Have you even heard this DAC  before making such statements? To be an honest poster you should be able to provide facts to back up your statements not speculation. If you have facts please provide them a lack of response will speak volumes.

@jond  A good sounding DAC is a good sounding DAC full stop for me. I am currently using a 12 or so year old DAC, the Yamamoto YDA-1 and it sounds fantastic

Amen brother!

The Yamamoto is an under the radar Japanese audio gem. I agree with you and others here on the merits and longevity of really well designed, engineered and implemented DACs stand the test of time easily. Things do improve and change over time but I believe this is often greatly overstated.

Focused attention and quality put toward the DAC’s power supply, analog output stage and I/V conversion go a very long way in ensuring many years of satisfying sonic performance.

Charles