Expanding your hobby by expanding love

Let me be a little Zen here. I’ll keep this short.

99% of what we read in magazines and on this forum are about consuming. Like wine tasting.

That’s fine, I enjoy that too.

But I also want to encourage you to consider if you are asking "what do I buy next?" maybe you should ask "how can I contribute to musical culture?"

This can take on many shapes. Supporting local playhouses and orchestras. Supporting local public school music programs. Donating used but working instruments. Taking your grand kids to see a live orchestra doing Sorcerer’s Apprentice. Donating regularly to a local radio station.

Isn’t there a merit badge with the Girl or Boy Scouts of America regarding music you can offer to help with?  Or electronics? 

Above all, this is a great way to expand your love into a verb that connects us with each other outside of the audiophile community, because music is universal.

There will always be things to consume, and new speakers / cables to try out, but time is precious and our connection with others fleeting. Let’s give back, and by doing so gain something entirely more precious.

Best,

E
erik_squires
I know buying Music Theory 101 Text at U of Minnesota book store many years ago was one of the smarter things I ever did . I did not take class itself .
Erik, I appreciate what you are asking and I appreciate your posts a lot. Sharing what you love is the start. Picking up a musical instrument is another start. If you love something, share it. Thanks for the post. 
Post removed 
@whart 

There's lots of little known musicians who are fantastic and  could use evangelizing, so get started. :)