exceptional voices of female singers (non-classical)

What I'm talking about here is what critics of classical singing refer to as "the instrument": the exceptional beauty or uniqueness of the timbre of the voice qua voice.  For the moment, put aside preferences w.r.t. repertoire, interpretation, performance, style, delivery, etc., and just consider the *sound* of the voice.  We're *not* talking about favorite female artists here, because that kind of preference is based on a whole amalgam of factors.

I suspect some of the top figures in the category I've tried to define often aren't very popular among audiophiles, because of those many other factors.

My first three nominations: Barbra Streisand, Linda Ronstadt, Eva Cassidy.

128x128twoleftears
"Actually "Ella" was mentioned by the very first poster....@jerroot "

slaw, Hah! MY blood pressure has now gone down... It would help if I read MORE carefully before posting an emotional response!

"For uniqueness, Rickie Lee Jones and Ella."
Maybe I didn’t notice because Ella WASN’T listed as first in that lineup.
Kinda think she shouldn’t even be in that same sentence. I do enjoy RLJ, but really, it just seems like an honorable mention by the poster.

I lot of great ones mentioned here. Not a fan of her music but Karen Carpenter is at the top of my list.
Beth Hart??  Please... she screams and swears with a foul mouth but has no vocal range. 
At least in my opinion.

ozzy
It would help if I read MORE carefully before posting an emotional response!
Tablejockey, FWIW there were others who have also posted in the thread expressing surprise that a particular artist had not been mentioned earlier in the thread, when in fact the artist had been mentioned earlier in the thread.

BTW, there’s no need to necessarily read more thoroughly. Just use the "Find" function of your browser to search for a given name, on each page of the thread. I often find that function to be very useful.  In Firefox and Edge the Find function is in one of the sub-menus which can be accessed under the three bars or three dots at the upper right corner of the screen. It will also be under the Edit menu, at least in Firefox, if the menu bar has been enabled at the top.

On another note, also FWIW but relevant to the OP’s question, a quote from Sir Elton John:
Judith Durham, like Karen Carpenter and Eva Cassidy, possesses the purest voice in popular music.
Regards,
-- Al