Everest dd 66000 speakers

Some rave reviews and used availability has my interest.
Any classical, jazz guys with listening experience or comments from someone you know? Thanks
ptss

Showing 29 responses by dave_72

No problem! Sounds good about your amp. From what you're saying, it should work quite well. When you audition, take your amp with you, or better yet, get a home audition if possible.
Hi Kiddmann,

Thanks for your comments. I hate being corrected. lol. I never would have guessed that, conventional wisdom being what it is. However, wouldn't the Everests benefit from being in a big room though? I can't see how they wouldn't...
I've heard both, but only under show conditions @ CES. They're both very accurate and dynamic speakers. The Salon 2, even at its current price is great bang for the buck. The Everest is really the ultimate, imo. But I'm biased, I'm a JBL guy. I currently have 2 pairs of JBLs; L890s and S4700s.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either speaker.
Why? Because the 66000 seems more dynamic to me, more bass, and plays louder. That's basically it.
You're welcome! Yeah, that is basically true as well. I see, so you have a lot of inside info. That's cool.
You're welcome! Krell is good stuff and should drive any of the JBLs you're looking at without a problem.

As for the room, I'd say a minimum of 20 x 25 x 9 give or take. Since the Everests are a wide speaker they need a wider room. So, I would say the K2s or S4700s would be a better fit.

I would go for the K2s as they're the closest thing to the Everest, and are a better fit for your room. But only if you get a substantial discount. $44K a pair is a bit much for those if you ask me.

Take care!
Don't underestimate the power of the dark side...I mean the S4700s, haha, as well as the K29900s. Both speakers punch well above their price points. The S4700s more so at a list price of $15000. I have a funny feeling that once these are reviewed, everyone's gonna be scrambling to buy them. That is my crazy prediction. The only drawback to these JBLs is they need A LOT of break in time, imo. They don't sound too good out of the box. Not very dynamic. Rather thin and lifeless. But once you put a lot of hours on them, they're superb and very revealing of associated equipment and recordings.
Hi Audiolabyrinth,

Yes, I certainly am. Ok, cool, I believe I've seen you too. Well, what would you like to know. Yep, go JBL!
Hi Kiddman,

JBL does horns the right way. They don't have the typical horn colorations.
The K2 is definitely better than the S4700, there's no arguing that. But the S4700 is good bang for the buck. You have a good amp. It just depends on the size of your room and listening tastes. If you have the room and the funds, by all means go for the Everests! lol.
Hi Kiddman,

Thanks for letting me know about the performance in large rooms. I take it the S4700s would probably be better in a medium to smaller size room too, true?

As far as JBLs and amps, I found that Class A solid state like Pass Labs and Accuphase works well too.
Hi Audiolabyrinth,

That's one Hell of a deal on the Everests. And yeah, at that price, you might as well forget the K2s. Are the Everests new, demo, or used? Just curious. Anyway, I would go for it! Good luck!
Hi Kiddman,

Yeah, I mean working better in a small or medium room than a large room.

No problem if you haven't heard 'em. You might want to just for the Hell of it.
To be honest with you, I haven't heard the K2s with Krell. Just the Mark Levinson that Harman uses at the shows. I don't think it would be forward sounding, but you never know. You know the characteristics of your amp better than I do...Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Again, I find that the high end JBL horns don't have the typical horn colorations. They're not shouty, spitty, or megaphone-like. It's probably due to that Sonoglass material they use, as well as the overall engineering. When mated with the compression drivers you're hitting a home run.
Audiolabyrinth, good luck on your trip. And regarding the Everests; if you can afford them why not get them? Life's too short!
Audiolabyrinth, I hear ya. What a great value on the used market. Much cheaper than a new pair of K2s! Yeah, I suppose we should envy him. But, you ultimately have to be content with what you have and can't worry about what everyone else has. Otherwise you'd go insane, especially in this hobby. lol. Happy listening to you as well.
@Dentdog: I've only heard the Revel's and JBLs. I'm not familiar with Salk speakers. I've heard of them, but that's about it...

So, between the Revels and JBLs, I prefer the JBLs. Better dynamics and more realism to me.

However, the Revels are a good deal price-wise. Well, in the world of high end audio, that is...

Anyway, those are my thoughts...i would advise you to go out there and hear these speakers in person if you can.
Audiolabyrinth, that's the way to do it; listen and compare, and compare to the competition as well as the other speakers in the JBL Synthesis lineup if possible. And yes, a used pair is a lot of money too. Imo, the list prices on these JBLs are a bit crazy, imo. I feel they're somewhat overpriced for the most part, but a lot of high end audio is like that...and that's another subject for another time!
haha yeah, exactly! I believe you 100 percent. A lot of speakers fail to make the grade. No names mentioned!
Audiolabyrinth, that is true! Well, that definitely is the way to go. yeah, you might not. That's why I suggested the K2s or even the S4700s. How much better is really up to you!
Yeah, it does.

I have the Bryston BP6P preamp, and 4BSST amp. Technics 1210M5G w/Audio-Technica AT150MLX cartridge, and Onkyo DX-7555 cd player. That's pretty much it. I'm looking to upgrade the amp and preamp hopefully later this year, finances permitting...