Ever wanted to know, what your phono cartridge sounds like dead flat??

This new "GaN Technology" Class-D Integrated phono amp from Technics can equalize your cartridge flat for you using a test record that comes with it.
https://forum.audiogon.com/posts/2116404

Cheers George
128x128georgehifi
Interesting! He says it can get the frequency response very flat, at least relative to the test record.  But then he says it can't help with the channel separation being no better than 30db. I wonder! The channel separation issue, if I understand it, has to do with the movement of the needle for each channel at a 90 degree angle (or whatever angle it is) relative to the other channel. Each channel inherently ends up coming in to the other channel, attenuated and reversed in polarity due to the mechanical arrangement. Seems to me this is something dsp could potentially address to some degree.
Each channel inherently ends up coming in to the other channel, attenuated and reversed in polarity due to the mechanical arrangement. Seems to me this is something dsp could potentially address to some degree.
It says it can also fix the "cross talk". You know when you hear very quietly in the background the next phrase as the record does the next rotation, it’s the stylus picking up the next rotation groove through the vinyl V wall before it gets to it’s proper groove. (I think they call it adjacent groove talk)
As well as giving a "flat frequency" response.
But to me the "channel separation" is a more difficult one, as I don’t think the dsp knows what’s the reference is for this to give it better separation.

Cheers George
Who cares?  It's not designed to run "flat."  Just designed to run "flat" against the RIAA EQ plot.  It doesn't matter how it sounds in ANY OTHER configuration.

I always led to believe the "riaa" is the "reference" curve for all phono cartridges, they all try to get close as possible to it. Might as well go back to tone controls then, if they don't try to follow it.

Cheers George
Some sour grapes, might try Guiness Stout or 2 or 3.  Sounds like another well engineered unit from Technics.  Thanks for sharing George.