ETHERNET CABLES

When using ethernet for hooking up streaming devices and dacs, what cat level of  ethernet cable should be used. Is there any sonic improvement by going to a  higher dollar cat 7 or 8 cable?

128x128samgar2

@tonywinga 

I also added a pair of $85 linear power supplies to power the FMC’s.

Hello, would you please share where you purchased the $85 LPSs for your FMCs? I can easily find 5v supplies that I use with other peripherals but I am having a harder time finding the 9v supplies required by the FMCs.

I got them on Amazon.  I’m using 5 VDC LPS units. My FMC’s run on 5 Volts.  I haven’t seen many 9 VDC LPS’s that aren’t more expensive.  I’m using a Keces 19 VDC LPS for my music server.  Very well built but close to a grand. 

Thanks @tonywinga - I purchased two of the same $86 5V supplies off of Amazon and they have worked well.  The same manufacturer does not list a 9V model but I was able to find 9V models that would work from either Small Green Computer or AliExpress.

@nonoise 

you are, again, absolutely wrong. USB and HDMI is not the same as Ethernet, and do not have a multi layer stack of error detection and correction. 
But way more important, and here is what you cannot seem to grasp, doesn’t matter how much information is given to you, the signal does not need to be perfect, as long as it is discernible a 1 or a 0, the signal is acceptable. There is no improvement in “packet quality” if you have a perfect signal, because there is no such thing as packet quality. What you are saying is essentially that your package from Amazon will have significantly better content if it was delivered in a Rolls Royce vs an Amazon truck, which is ridiculous. You get what you ordered regardless if it was delivered in an Amazon truck or a Rolls Royce.

If your packet somehow, including all the way down to the components of what you ordered, is damaged, Ethernet/TCP/IP will reject it and request another package. USB on the other hand will give the box a quick glance, and if the box looks ok, it will accept it.

@nonoise And this doesn’t even consider that none of the products that supposedly improve the electrical signal over Ethernet actually do not improve the signal. Not a single one out there that claims to be “audiophile” Ethernet improves the electrical signal, at all. It is super easy to measure this, and many people have.