Esoteric . . . your thoughts please

Does anyone have any experience with the Esoteric P-05/D-05 combination?

I was also wondering about others' experience with different Esoteric products. I am considering trading a McIntosh Mcd301 for an Esoteric unit, in an effort to obtain better build quality and superior sound reproduction. Any insights would be appreciated. I am aware that Esoteric has a newly released D-07, which has more digital inputs than the D-05. Eventually, I want to include a computer server into my two channel system. But my primary interest is in having the best sounding two channel system playing cds. The P-05/D-05 combination is priced at the maximum dollar amount I would be willing to spend.

Thanks for your thoughts.
thefirstchorus

Showing 1 response by buconero117

Esoteric is a great sounding unit. I have recently heard the '5'. However, it is not a great value. I have heard units, recently the oppo 83se, that almost equaled the '5'. Yes, I know 'almost' is very vague. But the listening test I did was at a dealer that switched the 5 and oppo in and out. I could not always tell which sounded better. My ears, not yours. So, give a listen and let your ears make the decision, not your wallet.