Esoteric X-01 versus Oppo 105 Darbee for CD audio?

I realize the price difference. But technology changes have been dramatic since the original X-01.
ptss

Showing 1 response by rhljazz

I just purchased the Oppo 105D to replace a Linn Karik which finally died. The Oppo sounds fine in a digital sort of way. I was hoping it would be a step forward compared to the older digital but it really isn't. The Oppo's analog outs compared to a 19 year old VAC tube dac via the Oppo's digital outs is too close to call. Yes, there is a slight difference that an audiophile might hear but would go unnoticed by an average listener.

Then there is the Chord Hugo connected to my Sony X779es with a Tara ISM cable that sounds like real instruments, no digital piano sound here. The difference with the Hugo is instantly noticeable to the average listener and it is not subtle. The only reason to play the Oppo is to demonstrate how good the Hugo is.

Play track 2 of Holly Cole's Don't Smoke in Bed through the Oppo and you'd think it sounds pretty good. Then switch to the Hugo and you find out what was missing.

I have not heard an Esoteric player to compare. From experience of listening to various digital players and formats, I think a Hugo would be the winner.