Esoteric X-01 versus Oppo 105 Darbee for CD audio?

I realize the price difference. But technology changes have been dramatic since the original X-01.
ptss

Showing 4 responses by onestaudio

Not in the same league with the X-01/D2 either. Now, you may not like the voicing of the Esoteric, but the Oppo is nowhere near the Esoteric in overall sound quality. The Esoteric excels in depth, delineation of tones and notes, weight, bass, etc. You get my drift. And it shouldn't be anywhere near the Esoteric. The Esoteric has a world class transport, much better power supply, and overall build. There is no video circuitry to deal with either. The better the supporting cast, the more apparent it becomes.
But, the Oppo plays movies, and sounds pretty damn good too. And even at a good price of around $5000.00, the Oppo is one fourth the price. So as a overall performer, the Esoteric wins. But, as an overall value, the Oppo is a much better deal.
Really, the question is about comparing two different players... Value and price are always a concern!
No your right, and I could have saved $200,000.00, but I did pick up a couple good deals along the way, shame on me for looking around. Does paying below retail count, or are we adding up what we could have paid... That would put me near $300.000.00! Wow, and that's $75,000.00 just in cables!!
Although I met my dealer at his house, and he clearly could use the money more than me!
Come-on, don't be hurtin' on Bose, we have a Bose in the SUV, and it sounds pretty damn good.
As for the Oppo and Esoteric X-01. I have the Oppo and had the X-01, and
when you put them side by side for listening, they both have strengths. But the Esoteric is clearly a better sounding CD player for my taste. But, the Oppo has far more flexibility, espiecally if you want connectivity to stored music and Hi Rez. There is no USB available for the X-01, they both play multi channel, but only SACD on the Esoteric, plus, Opps! , nevermind!
Skinzy, the X-01 had no USB input, the K-01 has. I owned the K-01 for a year or so, and enjoyed it very much. I had the X-01 before that and the K-01 was clearly a step in the right direction for Esoteric. I did like multi channel SACD with the X-01, but I get that with my Oppo. Sounds like I'm repeating myself... And drifting off topic, sorry about that Ptss.