Esoteric K01: What are the best settings for CD?

The Esoteric K01 has several up-conversion and filter options for CD play-back. Unfortunately, each up-conversion option and each filter option requires approximately 500 hours of 'break-in' to sound it's best. I have owned the Esoteric K01 since it's release. It is a superb SACD and CD player. I have 'broken in' some but not all filter and up-conversion settings. I am still unable to decide which combination I like best. I am currently using S_DLY1 (for digital filter) and 2Fs (for up conversion). I would like to know what settings other Esoteric K01 owners like best. It would be helpful if If you can explain why those settings sound better to you than other combinations. I wonder which settings the experts at Esoteric/Teac would recommend?
matjet

Showing 4 responses by kiwi_1282001

Hi Jon2020,

Your observations on sonics of each filter looked possible until I reached No.5.

My understanding is the DSD signal path is direct and does not pass via digital filters - so I am at a loss with your comment that the digital filters lend their signatures? Are you sure about that?
Hi Guido,

It was my belief that filters could not influence the sound of a DSD recorded SACD.

Regards
Ralph
Hi Guido,

TEAC America have confirmed that DSD signals from an SACD go directly to the DAC.

The only signals that can be manipulated by the filter circuits are PCM.

Regards
Ralph
I think nearly all would agree that the Esoteric K-Series is Teac Corps best effort yet.

This however does not mean it best machine for all listening tastes.

For some the Esoterics reading of music, which is neutral, may be considered analytical, matter of fact and aloof from musicality.

This is understandable and for such folks others options thankfully exist from Ayon, Cary, Reimyo, ARC, Zanden etc.

The point really is to "know thyself" when it comes to audio. If you understand your taste in presentation you will hopefully be better positioned to pick products which support that.