Esoteric DV-50: Tweaks, Up-sample settings, etc.

Hello All;
I would like to hear from DV-50 owners out there who have fine tuned their units with various powercords, isolation devices or stands, EMF/RFI tweeks, cables etc. Have you found an Up-sample setting that seems to work well, most of the time, with all discs? I have found that some older discs do not benifit from up-sampling. Are you using the single-ended or balanced outs?
I am currently using the XLR outs with HMS balanced cable, but the gain is super high.
What is the consensus on the ground wire hook-up?
Are most of you using it, and if so are you grounding to the pre-amp, amp or to the screw on the receptacle cover plate?
Leave the unit powered up all the time? Shut down occasionally?
I really appreciate, in advance, all of your input regrding these subjects.
Thanks; Tim
128x128soundlogic
Springbok10: The DV-50's remote is not lighted. My remote works fine, but I seem to remember that on the Sony SCD 777 ES, there was a switch on the back panel to select either of two remotes. I accidently moved this switch several times, and had to return it to the correct position to enable the remote. I'm not sure if the DV-50 has such a switch, since the rear panel cannot be easily accessed in my cabinet. Check your owners manual, and also check to see if your remote's batteries are inserted correctly.
I cant reach the back of my unit either, without moving about 100 lbs of equipment - took 2 days to install! The manual says nothing about a switch.
See my new thread on TEAC's response to the defective remote!
Would be grateful for some more comments on the upsampling performance. The previous comments on what types of music was especially helpful! Oh Yeah the NOS tubes too. I have a tube pre/Headphone amp.

I have been considering the DV-50 vs the X-30(Redbook only but with New VRDS). The X-30 does have RDOT but not the FIR. X-30 costs about $2K vs the $3.5k Tokyo street price of the DV-50. While the SACD is nice, DVD-A(ho-hum not that interested but if bundled with a great player what the heck). Video-very Unnecessary. Thus interest in X-30 save some $ for cables, other equip/SW or future upgrade, do not pay for features I do not need/want.

The DV-50 appears to be slightly better value given features, but for me not really a strong desire. I only own two SACDs(for listening tests). I am buying vinyl instead for new music and/or upgrading my redbook SW. Desire to wait another year or so b4 delving into SACD/DVD-A.

Of course my ears matter most. I am trying to do some A/Bs but takes time and hard to draw a conclusion in mini-sessions. Both sound great. The FIR does seem to jazz things up a little more with RDOT, but hard to decide if the sound is preferred, dif, though nice option to have.

The X-30 with new VRDS should not have the hidden jitter issue of the DV-50*I say hidden since I can NOT notice. Only read about it being detected while testing with an analyzer.

There is unlikely to be an X-30 or even X-50wVU(uses Wadia DAC). But guessing the DV-50 is as close as will get and some of the comments on cables, etc... may be useful.
Springbok10: Where did you post your comments about TEAC? I can't find your "new thread".
I guess it didn't make it!!
I submitted it - maybe the editors didn't approve of it! I was complaining about the fact that my brand-new DV-50 had a defective remote - but TEAC made good and came through - with a little push from the Cable Company - and overnighted me a new remote next day! Bravo, TEAC..........you deserve thanks for that...........
by the way, I tried a Siltech GX 30 -5 on it, connected to my preamp (ML Ref 32) and it sounded great, but I wasnt ready to spend over a grand on a 6 foot power cord, so sent it back while I wait for the Michael Wolff Ribbon source, to try. I am currently using the stock cord and will try it against the Ribbon. Will keep you posted. (If interested)