Equi=Core 1800/Core Power Technologies 1800

Anybody know anything about these things, Equi=Core 1800/Core Power Technologies? Are they any good? Not looking to buy snake oil. Considering possibly purchasing without auditioning to run Levinson 23.5 amp, Proceed AVP 2, Ayre Codex DAC, Proceed CDD. Anyone? Thanks
128x128luvrockin

Showing 11 responses by lewinskih01

I sent an inquiry a week ago, maybe more, and haven't heard back. Maybe you guys can help me: do you know if the make 220V units?
Thank you lak!

I wonder why they aren't replying. 

My system is a purpose-built optimized computer with lab linear power supply, a DAC, a class AB tube amp for midrange and trebble, class D mono blocks for midbass, and a couple of powered subwoofers. Feeding from dedicated lines.

Do you guys have a point of view as to getting an Equi=Core 1800 and plug everything in there vs buying a 50W unit for the DAC and a 1200W for the tube and class D amps, or even one for the tube amp and another for the class D amps? And subwoofers plugged to the wall.

This was another question for the manufacturer, but...

Thank you!
@lak : thanks for the answer and for pointing me to the other thread.

@corepowertech : Mark thanks for the answer. I wasn't aware you were going through this. No problem. Mine is not a rush buy. When you get a chance, I would like to get your input to my question above, from 07-05. While lak answered, I would also like to get your input.

I understand a large balanced transformer will clean up the incoming power to all downstream devices, but I understand some of these downstream devices (class D amps, DAC) themselves generate noise they send back upstream so I wonder if the larger units can prevent this noise from getting into the other devices attached to it. I plan on having two SET amps, two class D amps, a DAC, and a linear power supply (feeding a PC) fed with clean power.

Buying multiple units will of course be more expensive, but I'd like to know what my end game ought to be and then set a plan to get there as funds permit.

thank you!
@fjarratt

Have two Core 1800 units. One on audio front-end and one on amp/speaker end.

Why do you use two instead of source and amp plugged all into one unit? Are these in different rooms?
I have a 300 and a 1200. My Oppo 105 CD player and Parasound P5 preamp are powered by the 300. My 2 Emerald Physics 100.2SE amps are plugged into the 1200. I had planned to sell the 300, but the system sounds MUCH better when they are isolated. Trust me

@tweak1 
That's interesting. A while back I discussed with Mark using dedicated smaller units, like your 300, vs plugging DAC and amps into a 1800 thinking about the DAC injecting noise back and into the amps and he said the 1800 would sound better.

Have you tried plugging all into the 1200 and compare the sound to what you have now? Do you hear differences?

My EC1800 came without fuses. I asked Mark yesterday morning for the right rating so I can finally have a listen, but have not had an answer. 

Would anybody be willing to take a look at yours and let me know? Please also note if your unit is 110V or other.

Thank you!
@lak 
Thanks for checking. In my unit there's also a reset button, and between the on/off switch and the IEC connector there is a fuse holder that is not readily visible but it's there. It has place for holding 2 fuses and those places are empty. I am now wondering it there should be any fuses there...
@lak 
I don't know if it works. I ordered 5 months ago as 220V. Have had so many problems along the way that I want to double check it is indeed 220V before plugging in, but it has no marks indicating voltage. So I proceeded to check the fuses and found no fuses...

I was hoping to get Mark's answer before stores here close until Tuesday (so I can finally listen to it!) But since no reply I came here to ask.
@lak 
I did and measured the EC output duplexes and have no voltage. So I'm kind of hoping this one needs the fuses...as the alternative would suggest I have a bad unit...
@luvrockin 
The breaker didn't trip as I didn't connect it.
I am the point of second guessing every step because if the very many things that went bad in this purchase and given Mark's health issues, moving, son in law in accident, etc...there is a chance someone overlooked the fact I purchased a 220V unit and rushed to ship a std 110V unit.
@lak 
you were spot on! A connector with a loose grip got disconnected during shipping. It now works!

The other piece of good news is it is indeed 220V unit.
The not as good is tge wall had 227V while the EC1800 had 238V on the outlets. A little too close to the 240V range upper limit for comfort. I need to verify the operating ranges of my electronics.

Haven't had a chance to listen. Hopefully tomorrow.

Mark: please check out my email from Friday so we follow up on other open item.

Thank you all for the help!