Entry level tube amps?

I'm thinking about experimenting with tube amps. The goal is simple. I would like my system to sound more reed in the sax and resin in the bow of cello. For the time being I would like the cost to be under $2000, preferably under $1000. If I like what I hear I might go full out with tube amps. If I don't feel there is enough improvement then I'll just stay with solid state design. So this is an important moment for me.
jylee

Showing 2 responses by br3098

What is the rest of your system consist of? What are you currently using as a pre? If you are all SS, you will get more tube bang for your buck adding a tube preamp first, and then going to a tub amp.
That's a pretty nice system you have there. I was going to suggest that you look at new speakers, but...

I am of the opinion that source components (and speakers) make the largest change in overall sound quality, and that the improvements diminish as you get to the middle (power amp). Have you tried other CD players or transposts/DACs? I have tried a couple of universal disc players (admittedly not the Linn) and have not been satisfied. Just my $.02 worth.