Enlightened Audio designs

hey Guys,
A buddy of mine just gave me a Enlightened Audio Designs DAC model DSP 7000. I have a Music Hall 25.2. The EAD gives me the ability to play HCCD,which I'm listening to right now..pretty sweet. regular cd's eh..ok. What do I have here, worth keeping in my system or just let the Music Hall do the talking?
texron

Showing 2 responses by samgupta101

Hey Texron,

I've been using EAD DACs for a few years, first with their DSP-1000 and now with their DSP-7000 unit. They are really good stuff, just hard to find.

I haven't heard your music hall, but I can tell you that the DSP-7000 is still an excellent performer. I'd be surprised if the music hall was its equal. The best way to find out is to do an A/B between them--let your ears be the judge.

Good luck--and let us know how it turns out if you give it a go!

-Sam
HI Texron--

That's a tough Q to answer--it will depend on the rest of your system and of course your ears. Also consider how long you'll keep the unit. If you feel that this DAC will be with you for a long time and survive upgrades in other areas then I would say go for it. My DSP-7000 is a series iii and I will keep it for a long long time.

Regarding your previous question of how to hook it up--coaxial vs. optical cable...the connection from the coaxial cable is pysically better. However the EAD DACs have circuitry to remove clock jitter than can come in via the optical line, so your optical connection is probably decent.

EAD had a glass cable from AT&T that ran between their transport and DACs--IMO this is the best way to hook up an all EAD system (transport + DAC).

-Sam