Enigma Subwoofer 1980s

I was given a subwoofer that I was told came from the 1980s. It is called an Enigma Subwoofer. The subwoofer comprises 4 woofers mounted in a 2x2 array. There is no cabinet/enclosure around the back side of the speaker (finite baffle).

I believe it once included a controller which I do not have (probably a low pass filter/limiter).

Has anyone heard this subwoofer or know anything about the company that made it? If so, I would appreciate any feedback on the quality of the speaker/sound quality. If this was a reasonable speaker I might want to try to use it. My concern would be damaging the speaker by overdriving it. Would anyone know the amount of power it could handle? I would probably limit the frequency below 80Hz. I would also probably try to use an equalizer on it.

Thank you very much for any input you can give me.
Regards,
Gary
gwho

Showing 1 response by misterears

The Controlled that came with the woofer array had three stages of equalization. Stage one was a 6dB/octave low pass network that compensated for the normal roll off due to open back dipole cancellation. That equalization needs to be correct from 25Hz to 1kHz. The next stage was an 18db/octave high pass filter at 25Hz. As an option, this could be higher order than 18db/octave but NOT less than 18db/octave. The last stage is the crossover from the subwoofer to whatever full range speakers you are using. The crossover in the Controller had matching high and low pass filters at 100Hz and were also 18db/octave. All filters were maximally flat (Butterworth) types.