End Game Turntable suggestions

Hello all, looking for insights to help me narrow down to some core choices; I am open to new or preowned. My system details can be seen under my profile.

In summary I have significantly expanded my vinyl collection and as of now I am looking to purchase an end game turntable appropriate for my setup. As you can see I use Mola Mola Kaluga Monos, and I really like the Zesto Pre and Phonostages. I find the class D/tube pre combination very pleasing. 

I would appreciate suggestions for around $5-8K (table + arm), new or used. I will have separate budget for cartridge. One preferred option (but not must-have) is universal voltage, as I may move the unit to Europe later. My current vintage turntable (Project Perspective) is 22 years old, and while I don't know how to compare to something really amazing, I can say that my setup is lacking detail and bass. The tonearm is terrible to keep aligned. Based on visits to Axpona and Cap Audio Fest and other research, I am thinking of a few in my budget, but will really value your suggestions of other brands:

- Origin Live Sovereign

- VPI Signature

- SAM Sinner

- Thorens TD 1601 (semi automatic)

Visual appeal is important to me (which is why Technics 1200 is not on my list despite great reviews everywhere). I love the idea of set it and forget it DD tables, but unfortunately mostly out of my budget (eg VPI HW-40 going for abt 11K used)....

Sorry for the long post but my hope is this background and help solicit good suggestions. Thanks

musicmatters1206

By considering Vintage TT's and as already suggested, the Technics SP 10 Mk ii or Mk iii. There is a lot to be had in term of performance for the outlay, and there is plenty of support at hand for this Brand and especially these two Models in both the US and Europe.

My own Mk ii is with a Custom Paint Coating to the Chassis costing £200.

Finished in the Blackest of Blacks with a Multiple Coating of Lacquers, with a Polished Finish. If visual appeal is important there is not much more to be desired if black is one's preference.

There is no shortage of Plinth Designs available for this model, a Web Search will reveal the works being carried out.

I feel a SP10 Mk ii fully overhauled, with a New Applied Coating to the Chassis, 'if desired'. Mounted in a Bespoke Plinth will be achievable for not too far from half your budget if donor model is prudently sourced. I can advise on this via email if interested in where to search out a donor.

A SP10 Mkii or Mkiii are a very sought after TT, in both the US and Europe with again in both the US and Europe, excellent servicing facilitation seen on offer from a variety of sources.  Having the Power Supply concern resolved is a minimum concern if changing from 110V to 230V 60Hz.      

Well looked after Models hold their Value and are Investments that are appreciating in Value and sell quickly when the need may arise. As the TT is to be a Keeper, the selling on is not really a short-term concern.   

I have been careful/prudent and have a substantial appreciation in the value, when compared to what my Refurbed and Modified Mk ii cost.

For the record the SP10 Mkii, in a Refurbed / Modified condition is the Model that finished my regular usage of Overhauled / Modified Idler Drives.

Idler Drives finished my regular usage of Belt Drives many many years past.  

Korf has their new arm on pre purchase.
I was leaning towards it, but a different came up secondhand… so more expensive (even used) but it is “end game” for me.

One preferred option (but not must-have) is universal voltage, as I may move the unit to Europe later.

I would not worry too much.
I have been running 110v equipment in Au for a couple of decades, and have always yearned to get rid of the transformer. And recently I did.

However a lot of people are running pricy power conditioners that among other things sometimes have isolation transformers. By running a 230v to 110v transformer my system seemed to be pretty immune to a lot of power supply issues.

I know that on the Sota they have an external supply… And maybe others do as well.
The legacy Luxman Micro-Seiki etc Japanese tables need a 100v… so they need yet a different transformer.

My current vintage turntable (Project Perspective) is 22 years old, and while I don’t know how to compare to something really amazing, I can say that my setup is lacking detail and bass. The tonearm is terrible to keep aligned.

Maybe it only needs an arm?
Are the rumble specs on it?

Perhaps an arm with more mass is needed, or maybe a high compliance cart would suit it?

The arm+cart is one beastly combo, but the table is generally separate and not part of the bass. Maybe some suspended tables affect the bass…??

Personally I would be optimising the arm before the table, but I am totally guessing at your table.

At the lower end of your price range I really like the Well Tempered Versalex.

Simply put…buy what you like the looks of and make sure it is absolutely isolated from vibration. If you’re on anything other than a concrete floor consider a solid wall mounted shelf…perfectly level.

If you want to agonize over the selection process, save that for the cartridge and your phono cable…then phono pre. I’m very fond of my Hana ML on the 10” JMW unipivot arm.

Should you select VPI, when properly isolated I doubt you will hear any difference between the Scout/Prime/Signature (all with 20 lb platter). Also, not sure why some fret the unipivot arm. A simple and elegant design that is a joy to live with.

I’m not sure about an endgame table but my SOTA Star Sapphire with vacuum hold down and an SME V arm is probably my last table. Once setup it’s rock solid, quiet and free from footfalls and extraneous noise. Add the SME arm which also is easy to setup and it’s set it and forget, just excellent sound that still rivals more expensive tables of today. SOTA has redone tables with all the upgrades on there website, take a look. I do also have a VPI Aries 2 table with an SME 309 arm which is a fine sounding unit, maybe not as good as the SOTA but still an awesome table. Plenty of VPI’s on the used marked too so choices are plentiful.