Empire Grenadier 8000P

I would like to tap into the arsenal of knowledge on Audiogon and ask a question about the Empire Grenadier 8000P's. It involves something that has always confused me. On the back of the cabinet, there are 6 small ports. I've seen 8000P's with all sorts of configurations with regards to these ports. Some have all six ports plugged with a small plastic cap. Others have them all open and still others have every other combination of them plugged and un-plugged. Since I did not buy these new and have never seen an owners manual or any explanation for these ports, does anyone know what they are for and how or why you would use them, plugged versus un-plugged? Are they to be all removed, all installed or some combination based on speaker placement? Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
vintage_heath

Showing 2 responses by timlub

Wow, this takes me back....If I recall correctly, Down firing woofer, these holes are an addition to a slot load or port.
I just looked these up and looked at images... I saw these in more like the early to mid 1980's... working on speakers for a long time.... Now that I go to images, I'm not sure if what I had been in was an 8000 or a 9000, but the woofer mounted on a plate firing down, below that plate was a slot with a screen mesh all the way around,  the bass was fired out of that slot.