Empire 4000 XL and 4000 D/III cartridge body differences question

Are there any differences between the 2 cartridge bodies? The reason I ask is that I have access to both a 4000 XL body and a good cond D/III stylus and wonder if the 2 would work well together. Apparently they do fit.

shawnwes

Showing 1 response by codimension_one

Hi - this is an old thread, but perhaps some of you Empire experts can help me out.

Hi Empire experts. I have recently received an Empire 4000 that does not have any "d" or "x" suffix in its name. It just says "Empire 4000" on the cartridge body. (The body is a slightly dull gold color).

My guess is that it is either:

(a) A really early Empire 4000 from before they decided to produce three variants of the 4000 (e.g., the d/i, d/ii, and d/iii)

~or~

(b) A later (and perhaps cheaper) version of the 4000 that was produced more cheaply to sell to a bulk market or a reseller.

By the way, the stylus is seemingly aftermarket (no 'Empire' logo on the stylus guard), but seems to be a really nice tapered alloy cantilever nonetheless.

The cartridge does sound quite nice. I am just wondering if anyone has seen 4000's of this sort before.

Thanks all !
Steve