Emmylou Harris, "Red Dirt Girl"

Category: Music

When I first heard this CD,(released in 2000), on my "big rig" it sounded very good but I liked rather than loved it. Recently, I was restricted to headphones (Sennheiser 600s into SF Line 2 preamp), and when I listened to this CD it suddenly seemed much more dynamic and detailed. IMO this is a great CD, and after picking up the detail from the headphones, it now sounds much better in with my Vand. 3As, but still somewhat more congested compared to the Senn. 600s-- I think it's a room/acoustics thing along with the distinctly "processed" sound of this CD. Any comments on this one? Cheers. Craig.
garfish
Undertaker; Don't believe I have "Live at the Ryman", although I do have 15-20 Emmylou CDs. I'll make a point of finding it. Thanks. Craig.
Elite Hotel is unquestionably her best, followed by, ahem, Rose in the Snow, then Luxury Liner and then Spyboy. And to put this in perspective, Spyboy is one of my favorite cds, so no criticism of anyone else's point of view isintended. My taste in music as I age runs more to stuff with a beat. Cowgirls' Prayer is very very good as is the new cd. Roses in the Snow was a bluegrass album.

Craig, I think Red Dirt Girl is a tad overproduced and the details may be hard to find in the mix.

She sure is good looking for someone who's actually older than me.
Thanks for your input, I really apreciate your comments and also added a couple of pieces to my wish list.
With music I try to get input from different sources but I put more value on suggestions from Audiogon members.
Do you think that the ratings that show in Allmusic.com are helpful? Interesting to note that Paulwp rating for Elite Hotel is close to what´s in Allmusic. I really consider that we as a group look more for interpretation quality and sonics (not as much from the commercial success the record has had). This makes our music finding quest a little harder than "normal" consumers. Regards
Now I have two problems- 1. I was thinking of the wrong CD and 2. with the phones on, I find there is a hum (volume independent) in one channel. Now that I heard it over the phones, I can hear it when I get within about 1' of the LF driver on one side. I haven't gotten as far as starting to swap cables to isolate it to a specific component. Staying at least partially on topic, don't miss either of the Trio CDs for Emmy Lou, Dolly and Linda. Uneven material (and what's with that glass harp, sounds a little like the sound you can get by rubbing wine glass rims) but when it all works, its awesome. Dolly Parton without the country pop trappings has such an amazingly pure voice, Linda Ronstadt hasn't sounded as good in years, and Emmy Lou just adds soul and class to everything.
I tend to like emmylou Harris and the Nash Ramblers at the Ryman best amongst her efforts, tho I admitt it seems difficult to compare when she has done so many different kinds and quality of recordings over the years I think her Ballad Of Sally Rose is underrated,and in my opinion her writing there is better than on the Red Dirt album, overall.Still, She has achieved an excellent catalog of music-truly amazing, and I am thankful she is performing and writing. Finally,the title track on Red Dirt Girl-er, Red Dirt Girl, is an admirable example of song writing and is amongst my favorite emmylou efforts.