EMM Labs DCC2 with Sony SCD-777ES

I currently own a Sony SCD-777ES and am thinking or purchasing a EMM Labs DCC2 DAC to complement it. I cannot afford the EMM Labs CDSD transport to go with it at the same time and won't be able to do so for a while.

Will this combination significantly improve my redbook performance? Has anyone tried a similar combination (maybe with the Sony SCD-1 as a transport)? I am looking for a full tonal body, excellent dynamics, no harshness and stellar soundstage (especially depth).

Finally, how would the DCC2 do as a pre-amp into my Pass Labs Aleph 5? Will it have enough gain to drive this amp?

And thanks in advance to everyone who dives in to help me out - I do deeply appreciate all your help and advice.

Neville
njp

Showing 2 responses by njp

Folks - many, many thanks for all the excellent information. My apologies for the delay in responding - I was out of town for the last few days.

Ron, the output from the Sony SCD-777ES is as your correctly surmised, RCA.

Chuck, I did consider going for a modification to the Sony SCD-777ES - I read the excellent series on modifications to the Sony SCD-777ES on Positive Feedback. I just think I'll be happier longer term with the Emm Labs solution.

Dgad, my longer term plans are to go with the CDSD as the transport, so I'm looking at a year or two at most with the Sony as a transport - if I'm lucky, even less. Hence, as you everyone has mentioned above, initially I will not be realizing the true potential of the DCC2, but as I understand it, it will still be a marked improvement from using the Sony standalone. I'll hold on to my line stage, the Lamm L1 and experiment using it with the DCC2 versus the DCC2 as the line stage and see which I prefer.

Finally, Lakefrontroad, thank you very much for the asking around for more detailed information on how the DCC2 would process the output.

Thanks folks - I will look around for a re-owned DCC2 and will take the plunge when I find one at the right price.

Once again, many thanks to all of you for taking the time to help out - it is deeply appreciated.
Folks, once again many thanks for all your help and advise. I just wanted to let you know that I've purchased a DCC2 - it should be here sometime next week. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to it. I'll also try streaming audio from iTunes via AirPort Express (and its Toslink output) to my DCC2 - I've read one post where someone mentioned that this worked very favourably for redbook compared to their using the CDSD for the same. Exciting times up ahead.