EMM Labs DCC2 with Sony SCD-777ES

I currently own a Sony SCD-777ES and am thinking or purchasing a EMM Labs DCC2 DAC to complement it. I cannot afford the EMM Labs CDSD transport to go with it at the same time and won't be able to do so for a while.

Will this combination significantly improve my redbook performance? Has anyone tried a similar combination (maybe with the Sony SCD-1 as a transport)? I am looking for a full tonal body, excellent dynamics, no harshness and stellar soundstage (especially depth).

Finally, how would the DCC2 do as a pre-amp into my Pass Labs Aleph 5? Will it have enough gain to drive this amp?

And thanks in advance to everyone who dives in to help me out - I do deeply appreciate all your help and advice.

Neville
njp

Showing 1 response by dgad

I am reading that you are looking to improve on redbook CD. The CDSD is very necessary to realize the full benefits of the DCC2 on CD playback. On SACD it is less needed. I found other CD players can compete with the DCC2 when the CDSD isn't used as a transport. If you want tonal body you will need the CDSD. The CDSD upsamples CD 4 times & SACD 2 times to the DCC2. AS for the preamp section, I can't comment as I am using the DAC 6e. I love the VTL 7.5s added tube fullness. I found it necessary as compared to my Placette active preamp.