Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
@stuogawa 

FWIW I contacted the main email last week about a missing VTA lever and Bruce (or at least somebody with Bruce's email and signature) responded.
@stuogawa @djspinner  et al 

Bruce is around. He just responded to my email.  

Chris,

Yes, we can still perform service on the ET-2 and parts, I hope this
helps - brucet

With that. 
We all recognize that Bruce will not be around forever, but this tonearm IMO is indestructible. I mean, if its disassembled in parts in its box, and you accidentally leave it on the driveway and run it over, that's one thing. Barring an accident it will outlive all of us. Its biggest threat is moisture in the air line and minerals deposits, that can land on the manifold blocking air flow and movement. Even then the ET2 manual can be downloaded and does a great job of explaining how to clean it. Unlike mechanical bearings that go dry and stiff, if you have a good trap for moisture there is nothing really to do except maybe keep it covered when not used for protection against dust. Pumps are easily replaced. JMO

So given those factors, a cartridge with a compliance number higher than 20 should pair best with my current tonearm setup?

Hi Djspinner 

From a numbers view point it would be the most "plug and play".... but here's the thing. I can tell you that there are people here that are using very low compliance carts like the Denon 103 with the aluminum armwand, and they have made changes in their kit to improve "the sound". Some have modified the actual aluminum armtube itself, added less resonant wrap to it, or filled the head of the wand with material. Others have made other modifications further down the chain of gear.  fwiw also I run all MC cartridges with no load. If your preamp/phono stage can take it and stay stable...try it.

@stuogawa 

Hi Stu - what speakers are those in your room?  

Cheer Chris  

@ct0517

I built and using the Siegfried Linkwitz’ LX mini + 2 speakers

https://www.linkwitzlab.com/LXmini/LXmini+2.htm

Siegfried and Nelson Pass (Pass Labs / PassWorks) collaborated and designed an active analog JFET crossover for the this specific system (neighbors in NorCal). Fun build.

https://www.magiclx521.com/epages/17940394.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17940394/Products/%22ASP%20mi...

I was a 30 plus year fan of bipolar speakers (Acoustats, Magnaplanar II’s and Tympani’s). I stumbled upon the Linkwitz/Pass collaboration at the San Francisco Burning Amp about 4 years ago. These were also a fun build...and now my final speakers for my lifetime. 

System to drive the LX Mini + 2 system:

Sota --> Wavestream Kinetics phono tube preamp --> Wavestream Kinetics tube line --> Pass crossover

Pass crossover output 1 (full range) to MFA 200c tube mono amps --> LX mini Seas full range speaker

Pass crossover output 2 (woofer) to Audio Research SS --> LX mini Seas woofer

Pass crossover output 3 (sub woofer) to Audio Research SS --> LX subs (Seas)
@stuogawa

Really cool speakers and kit. Congrats
Whenever I put my own time and skills into building and modding components there is always a tendency to want to keep, hang on to those components. There is a pride element with the B&W Electrostatic Speakers I restored last year. I have real problems with speakers. Tonearms are easy there is only one. 8^0
Speakers are like boats to me. Never met a speaker I didn’t like, and could not make work in a room, given freedom in the room. If I stay in a room long enough a system usually ends up in there and speakers take up the most space. Your speaker design is very attractive from this point of view. Case in point, I am having a hell of a time trying to sell some custom Acoustat Model 3’s. I have multiple rooms, multiple speakers, and I am going to one large room. Not really an environment to have people audition the sale of speakers. 8^0 And the records ? I tried trimming some by offering lots for sale. From an interest point of view, one would think I was selling some disease. Unless the records are rock, pop, funk, punk, metal.....
Cheers Chris