Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
I would mount the tonearm closest to the One o’clock location, moving in from the current pivot mounting hole. Close enough so that the tonearm spindle is allowed full travel. This will probably put it close to where you mention ?
I like pictures so.
Here is a shot of the underside that shows the three suspension mounts "Red Arrows" that control everything.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iY4q68yf6tCFEUrt6

Picture shows the position approximately, for the mount of the tonearm on the tonearm board on the opposite side. When the ET 2 is mounted I would then take time to re-balance as necessary by added weight to the plinth in the appropriate areas - experiment - to get the right vertical bounce that is needed with the Linn.

The tonearm asks for a straight tracking line, and this line can be anywhere on the platter.

ncampbell - for consideration.

Take a small piece of square wood thick enough to hold a wood screw and long enough to go through the ET2 mounting plate center hole.

Attach the ET2 mounting plate to this free standing piece of wood.

Assemble the ET2 .....WITHOUT cartridge, onto the mounting plate then while securely holding the tonearm, proceed to experiment and find the best position on the plinth.

When the best spot is found for the tonearm. Use some green painters tape or like, to mark the 4 positions of the wood on the plinth.

Now remove the tonearm from the mount plate and the mount plate from the piece of wood.

Put the piece of wood inside the lines of the painters tape.

The hole in the wood tells you about where you will need to drill the small tonearm mounting hole, on the tonearm armboard for the center bolt to hold the tonearm.

After doing the measuring exercise 3 more times.....then feel confident to drill the mounting hole. 

Please see the picture below.
At the top left is the original Linn tonearm mounting point. This is where I first mounted the ET tonearm.
The new ET arm mounting point is called out. I prefer this mount point because it is between the suspension points and is directly above the point at which the sub-chassis connects tot he armboard.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LQdv3P7Uw3RZf3FWA
An ET 2 on a Linn LP 12 is a rare sight. Bruce Thigpen said a few have done it. I’m sure there are many LP 12 owners (Linnies), and ET 2 owners out there, that would be interested in seeing pics of this project.

Brooks Berdan may have mounted more ET arms on tables than any other human. His first preferred table for the arm was the Oracle Delphi, for which he created a mod to keep the table's mass stable as the ET moved across the LP (Brooks had training in race car suspensions). He then mounted a lot of the arm on VPI's, first the HW-19 and then the TNT. Those table's higher mass provided a very stable platform for the arm. Brooks wasn't that impressed with the Linn, though he was an expert at setting it up. Brooks' preferred pivoted arm was the Graham.