Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
John,
I think my humor didn't come through in the printed word.   I agree, half the fun would be gone without these options.  But it's also fun to complain to guys who know what you're talking about. 
Cheers,
Harry
-Screwed up again with my address to Chris and not Harry. Maybe I should eat breakfast before reading and posting? Maybe don't end your posts with a quote, and I'll keep it straight. Hypoglycemia? -At least I can still hear.
Go, Braves!
John
Have come across folks that consider resolving analog setups, that allow you to perceive VTA changes, a curse. What a hassle they say. They just want to listen to the music. I used to own a stock Technics SL1200 from long ago. It was passed mostly to work friends, who would hang onto it a year or two, and give it back after they decided that either vinyl was not for them (or their kids), or they just got their own table. I sold it about 1 1/2 years ago and the buyer was a young lady. She came to pick it up with her father. It had a Grado black on it, played music, and you didn’t worry about VTA.

I passed along my first system (circa 1972) to my younger brother who still uses it to this day. My first phono preamp and record cleaning machine went to a friend who, though not an audiophile, owns a large vinyl collection from the 60's-80's. I put him onto a new turntable and cartridge when his vintage Beogram died.He's the only guy I know who still plays vinyl.
John 
This and That

Harry
Hmmm, options for audiophiles. Let me see now - Lighter weights all the way out or heavier weights closer in? Tweak VTA a little up or a little down? Nudge the sub woofer volume a little up or a little down? How about the crossover point of that sub? Magnesium or carbon fiber arm wand? Wire straight in to preamp or via phono block? Now, how about that loading - 100, 1000, or 47k ohm? Oh, yes, and most of these are interdependent - change one and you have to change them all. Which to do first and which to do last. Is the tracking force still correct? Sure is fun ain’t it?

Lets analyze Harry. Takes my mind off the oil stocks :^(

"Lighter - weights all the way out"

follows physics; gives highest vertical inertia as well as following manual setup instructions.

Heavier weights closer in?

Opposite effect .... add enough weight close to the spindle and you will bottom out the air bearing.

Tweak VTA a little up or a little down?

Everyone’s setup will be different. Some cartridges don’t need much VTA adjustment.

Nudge the sub woofer volume a little up or a little down? How about the crossover point of that sub?

I would only after setting up the system without the subs first. This assumes the preamp output does not go through your subs first, before going to your main speaker amp/s.

Magnesium or carbon fiber arm wand?

Magnesium for Winter duty. Carbon Fiber for All Season use.

Wire straight in to preamp or via phono block?

Bruce uses a straight in setup. Have never heard of anyone who uses a "straight in" setup; going back to the multiple connections.

Now, how about that loading - 100, 1000, or 47k ohm?

If you go straight in you can adjust the distance between the wires changing the capacitance and altering how your phono preamp reacts to the settings. This can be fun; along with the extra gain one gets when going straight in.

Is the tracking force still correct?

Only with the ET2 :^)

When is boating season going to start ?

??