Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Hi John
id say you were fed a load of baloney. If the suspension was bad it will no longer play without the body hitting the record. Until that happens play away. Now obviously that doesn't take into account the state of the stylus. You could send to a retipper and have a new tip put on. Make sure you don't use a guy that replaces the cantilever as well. This will change the voicing of the cartridge. 
Thanks analogluvr,
I spoke to Bruce Thigpen yesterday about a number of things and was told that the Alita pump will not produce enough pressure for high pressure manifolds such as mine. The WISA's are still best for my rig unless I want a noisy shop pump or that monstrous dental pump. -Over the top and also noisy?
Could someone explain how to set up that magnetic damping mechanism to replace the trough? I haven't used the trough in years, as I don't see how you would horizontally balance the arm with fluid in the trough. I think the bottom end of the FR would benefit from some kind of damping.
Thanks for anyone's help on this,
John

Could someone explain how to set up that magnetic damping mechanism to replace the trough?

John
I discussed magnetic damping with Bruce when it came up in discussions here in 201* - I can't recall the year. Bruce was very intrigued, so much so that he tested it out himself. His findings, as far as the interaction between actual spindle and using the strongest magnets; there is just not enough movement in the spindle to produce any effect. So that is what he found. Next time you are talking to him remind him of our conversation. I did sense that he really wanted it to work as the oil is - messy.

With that the experimentation involves placing magnets - same poles facing each other - on either side of where the spindle exits so it is passing through the magnets. The idea of course being that repulsion controls the movement of the spindle.

My Verdier La Platine platter system works in a similar way, but on a much larger scale. Now the system with La Platine works because the actual platter which has the (top magnet) attached to the bottom of it, is moving at 33.3 rpm so you have braking action happening with the bottom magnet due to the movement. This braking action also helps to deal with the records behavior with its constantly changing grooves.  I was fortunate to learn this from Mr. Verdier, before his passing.

Chris

Hi Chris! The magnet damping doesnt't work the way you describe it. What you describe is the magnet "levitating" of the Verdier (and others) by opposing magnets of same polarity.
The proposed damping works by eddy current, the same as eddy current brakes. Basically you put a magnetic circuit very close to a electrically conducting surface. The magnetic flux crossing the surface induces a current in the conductor / surface, which creates a counteracting magnetic field.
I placed a neodymium kitchen magnet (or two) on a blob of BluTak underneath and very close to the spindle. (I like my setups to be a bit messy - but reversible :-).
My wires exit the arm relatively "straight" at the end of the tonearm proper, the magnet is on the opposite side of the bearing.
The small round kitchen magnet has a magnetically conductive (steel?) "guiding" sleeve around the magnet that guides the back side pole to the front, so you have opposite poles in the center of the magnet vs. a circular opposite pole around.
In my case it works "enough", so that the arm has no high Q lateral resonance. It's probably still slightly underdamped though. Which is IMO desirable as a trade-off.
I don't have an alternative anymore, as my oil trough is leaking.
Hi Pegasus
Good to hear from you. :^)
The Verdier provides for Levitation AND Braking Action - and that is why I included the analogy. Everybody thinks about the Levitation but NO ONE discusses the braking action. 8^0

All I did was report Bruce’ findings. Not sure how he set it up.
IMO - John should also try it for himself.

I still have the trough attached but the paddle is not connected because I do not need it.

Pegasus
My wires exit the arm relatively "straight" at the end of the tonearm proper, the magnet is on the opposite side of the bearing.

Show us a picture of the wiring/magnet Pegasus.

John I would also like to see a picture of your modded Ibeam.

Cheers Chris