Embrace The Joy Of Microphonic Equipment

Hi all,
Over the past couple of years I have been listening to a DIY - 4P1L Transformer Coupled Pre-Amp.

Kevin Carter of (K&K Audio) & Radu Tarta of (simplepleasuretubeamps) have both sold these pre-amps over the years.
The 4P1L when used in a transformer pre-amp application (4:1 stepdown) is still sensitive to being VERY microphonic. 

Plenty of ways to reduce & divert vibration but in the end I have come to the conclusion the microphonic nature of this valve subjectively enhances the SQ presentation. The music sounds more dynamic and more sensitive to music changes.

In a nutshell, I like this subjective presentation, goes against my traditional thinking but who cares, sometimes you are better off accepting the valves limitations and working with its natural advantage, Being a directly heated pentode (4P1L) it has a slightly more aggressive presentation and when used upstream of DHT's provide a nice harmonic combination. 

As with all things it's a balancing act, between pleasure & pain. 

Cheers Johno

johno520

Showing 1 response by tomic601

while i don’t see anything wrong with Baskin Robbins 31 flavors ( pick a distortion you like ) , it is not going to move us closer to accuracy to the input. It is the ear / brain after all, so truth is debatable….