ELP Laser Turntable & Trickle Down

ELP LASER TURNTABLE as most vinyl fans know is a turntable that uses a laser instead of a more conventional stylus. I read reviews on the audio critic site and out of the two reviewers the one who had a very high end table and arm combo,chose the ELP laser table this conventional combo. I am wondering why this technology has not trickled down the way Cd has with companies paving the way for cheaper machines and improving over time while becoming cheaper as the technology matures?
schipo
Vanmeter, I assume you are talking about the demo at CES. It was classical.
Interestingly, it was the promise of this TT that got me back "into" audio. After college, I usually had some good sounding consumer gear, Kenwood seperates, Rotel reciever, Phillips, garrard, Dual TT, and the like.) Around 1985, I picked up a copy of Stereophile or Absolute Sounds at this newstand on W8th St in NY (or thereabouts) and read about this new laser TT technology. I was so fascinated that I started to read Sphile and AS semi-regularly to get updates about the "soon-come" availability of this cool device. Of course, I didnt realize at the time it would cost $10K - but by the time I did, I was re-hooked on other aspects of Hi-Fi-dom. Namely, vinyl and single ended.

This stroll down memory lane brought to you by:

Mike :)
I guess I just don't get it... of course, I've never heard one so I may just be an idiot with an unfounded opinion.

Is record wear really that big of a concern anymore? I know I don't concern myself with it. Advances in stylus geometry have come a long way in the last 20 years. With a properly aligned micro-ridge stylus like the one on my Dynavector 20XL, I don't think about it a bit!

Another part of me, perhaps naively, sees this as too much a part of the digital realm... it's certainly not "pure analog" the ELP is pulling. If I want high-rez digital, there are other, cheaper options.

For $10k I can put together one hell of a proper traditional analog rig.
Vinyladdict, The ELP is not digital. It is analog. The issue is not record where, although you can read lower in the groove to avoid damage previously caused by styli. The issue is the laser having no mass and tracing the groove accurately.

Also, you must not have priced turntables, arms, and cartridges lately.