ELO and the search for SQ

I like ELO's music! But the quality of my 3 cd compilation of their music (Afterglow) has always disappointed.  The recordings are really lackluster. Then I came across an ELO song on a 70's compilation cd and it was gorgeous - clean and detailed and dynamic. So now I'm on the hunt for quality recordings of their music. Even though I have a VPI Classic 3, my preference is to go digital (I'm getting lazy). Will the digital downloads from HDtracks or Acoustic Sounds give me the SQ I'm looking for? Are the 192/24 downloads worth the extra expense over the 96/24 downloads?  

rockyboy

Showing 1 response by ct0517

Rockyboy -

Man your thread brought me vivid memories of the ELO concert way back when now.

Venue - Exibition Stadium - Toronto

We were sitting on the left side of the stage, about 100 feet ? back from the massive (left) side speaker array. Then there was the right side.

Hmmm.........two channel....... What a concept .......

All of a sudden smokes starts billowing coming down on the stage .... and the spaceship lands.......
First song.

Evil woman.

Thanks for letting me ramble...

my stuff is all vinyl but I do have some ELO albums on CD.
Love OOTB btw - I used to use the Concert For A Rainy Day Side - to pump myself up prior to playing sports. My wife doesn’t even know this.

On that album OOTB "Out of the the Blue" as far as loudness wars go. Note the superiority of the vinyl from the DR database.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=electric+light+orchestra&album=out+of+the+blue+

The Hi Res files digital files did not fare any better than regular CD in this databse. DR - One aspect to consider.

Happy Listening