Electrostats Shootout at 4000 Corral

from the latest electrostat technology the gunslingers are from kansas the legendary MARTIN LOGAN with the ASSENT($4000) from utah SOUND LABS with their handsome DYNOSTAT($3900) and from georgia INNERSOUND with EROS PASSIVE($4000) to make this as fair as possibile KRELL 300i amp($3000 new $1200 used) and for CDP hmmm take the NAD C540($600 NEW) i would prefer GASMAN'S recommendation the powerful INNERSOUND ESL amp($3000 new) gives 300 watts into 8 ohms 600 into 4 and 1000 into 2. for cdp i would prefer the new GRANITE 657 TUBE CDP($2500). i have seen MARTIN LOGAN shoot, BEAUTIFUL! no dealers in new orleans for INNERSOUND or SOUND LABS , guess have to drive to houston or atlanta to hear these guys. you know it seems the shootout is not between these 3, its more like these 3 against the HUNDREDS of box LOUDspeakers(WITH THE WILSONS leading the pack and the MAGEPLANNARS are in the pack as well. sorry maggie devotes i'VE HEARD THE MAGGIE 1.6 with CALIFORNIA LABS CDP and a NAD amp as well with a ROGUE amp ,not impressed. so its a question of which of the 3 electrostat can knock off the most boxed LOUD speakers. tweekerman
tweekerman

Showing 21 responses by tweekerman

Ljgj i am new in this audio realm so be patient , read my last post. hopefully the new pathos amp(120watts) due out in may will marry well with the sound labs M3.regards
Since it is my post i think i'll close it. After all considerations of the size the cost the inefficiency of the awesome sounding electrostats my vote goes to the speaker kits on ZALYTRON.com For 3 reasons 1)They only use the best drivers and 2) have the most reasonable prices 3) offer the biggest line.
ROUTLAW it was two weeks ago when i had my first electrostat experience , blown over! the MARTIN LOGANS ASSENT & AEON were driven by KRELL 300I. your comment proves my theory, you can take a ok amp (even a "JOKE" amp) but you can't take a top of line ACCUPHASE CDP + top of line MONOBLOCKS (take your pick, spend up to say ...$30000!) and get phenomonal sound. except for the fact that electrostates are addicted to the juice and you have to spend atleast $4000 (ML's AEON for $3000 sounded pretty good,even great compared to any LOUD..speaker say up to $10000! even their little SCENARIO($2000) can out perform in every aspect any LOUD...speaker up to $3000. GASMAN seems to say that this INNERSOUND (which model?)is the one. check out their KILLOWATT 1000WATTS!! into 8 2000WATTS!!!!into 4 KING KONG is alive and well! i would like to take MARTIN LOGAN's model say, the PRODIGY, and let KRELL's best to offer battle with this INNERSOUND KILL-O- MONSTER. one bloody battle indeed.
yea travis you are right maggies out perform boxes in most areas.( mistake). i agree NAD could probably make the 3 electrostates sound just ok. thats why i chose KRELL ,a basic power source , but according to ROUTLAW substandard. thats a big problem with comparing these 3. even if there were 3 dealers here that sold AsCent DynAstat EROS each would have different equipment.
kirt what do you mean by too lean? i guess if i hear labs and innersound i'll know. you say to forget ss ,gasman says innersound's els amp($3000) is THE amp? to throw a twist in take the upgraded INNERSOUND EROS MK11($6000), both speaker and electronics reworked with a 600rms amp. kirt did you hear eros or erosmk11?
hey Chuckie so you vote big for sound lab. plato votes big on eros passive but prefers eros active. gasman says cls11z gets his top vote and eros gets a close second. called a dealer for eros mk11 and he said all martin logan owners are trading up to his eros. i guess all are about equally spectatular speakers. we can all agree to this and ...and you say the musicians were ACTUALLY there in your room!!! so then sound labs webpage tells the truth "THE FINEST IN ELECTROSTATIC TECHNOLOGY" ... but i have to confess some bills rolled in today (car repairs etc.) looks like i'll have to settle for the little ISIS from innersound ($2600 or so says a dealer) or the martin logan AEON ($3000) but then with either of these little electros i can get my pathos classic one which should have just enough power, but according to 2 dealers "the sweetest in power". thanks everyone for the tech info. from what Chuckie says seems thats as close to heaven as you get. tweekerman
Ljgj now we are talking something altogether new. if one goes to innersound web page there is only a choice between the old eros and the upgraded eros mk11. if one goes to soundlabs web you will find spectular electrostats the very expensive A and the expensive M series. but dynastat is all i can barely afford (in debt as opposed to bankrupt). so this brings us to this conclusion, the dynostats are $4000 and the cls11z are $4000, which to go with? GASMAN casts his vote for innersound's eros as a total package but stated in a nice letter that his personal favorite is the cls11z. GASMAN states "you will not hear what this speaker (cls11z) can really do unless you use the innersound esl amp". PLATO as well casts his vote for the eros mk11, however he likes the monarchy se-100 delux over the innersound " by a small margin". PLATO also said to make sure its the upgraded with the hitachi mosfet. remember the full range soundlabs are twice the price as the cls11z and old eros. i guess the only way to solve this is to go listen to the dynostats today. i will have to locate a dealer for the eros and the elusive cls11z (new orleans dealer and the birmingham dealer says special order only) so my question to you is would the cls11z($4000) with a (used) rel storm 111($500) sub out perform the dynostats($4000) as well as the up graded eros mk11($6000)?
PLATO i just read your note to Hasse i think you answered my question sound labs dynostat vs. eros. but what about eros mk11($6000) vs. cls11z($4000)+rel storm111 sub ($1000)?
well i've heard enough seems like the choice would be the same as a choice between a beautiful blond, brunette, or redhead.
i've made some calls around the country, seems the eros out performs the ml line in same price range. soundlab's dynastat needs to go back to drawing board but their m3($7300) to their a1 ($16700) takes prize as best speaker in the universe. note: i came across a old post where someone called Mr.Roger Sanders and asked which amp for isis , he told them seems all pretty much the same on a equal footing. some dealer in california said exactly the same thing. hmmm interesting... said goes for cables as well. i always believed that about speaker wire but thought i was wrong when i saw all these beautiful thick cables. interesting...says he has done many blindfolded tests and no one gets it right between $50 cables and $1000 cables... interesting... very...says speakers makes all the difference. pretty much my ideas, so i chose krell and nad cdp, just any old amp will do as well as any old cdp. this and 50 cents won't buy you a cup of coffee .
HELLO Fmpnd BRAVO your experience of these magical mk11 or mk1 has the most convincing testamony. so it seems your post can bring this thread to a close. Gasman and Plato both back up your experience. the description of your system sounds looks like you,ve done your homework ,i am going to take a look at the equipment you mention. its interesting martinlogan has like 8 models ,and sound lab has like 8 models innersound has 2 or 3 ,martin logan goes to $80000 sl's goes up to like $20000, big is not always better in fact almost never not! TO: all the martin logan devotees and the lovers of sound labs please refer all your protests to Gasman, Plato, and most of all to Fmpnd. as far as i'm concerned the shootout is over... lets go to the saloon.. drinks are on me.
hey Sedond i will look into this line ,but honestly i listen to 95% classical music and the eros may be the perfect speaker for bass plucking and drum banging (jazz R&B rock etc.) but i have a hunch that my choice now is between the affordable SL's M3($3900) and ML's CLS11Z($4000) i prefer synergistic sound as opposed to the amp driven bass sound in the eros, and the eros have a tiny sweet spot , not so with SL's with the CLS i do not know. these pannels should render the best overall symphonic sound. the SL's have a frequency "control" panel (red flag goes up) and "optional" toroidal audio transformer (red flag goes up) ,and the CLS is the more handsome of the two (girl friendly) i'll just have to hear them.
Sedond seems martin logan sees the impracticality of their CLS11Z about to drop the model. which leaves me with the sound lab millenium-3 as the choice over the eros mk11 mainly because 95% of the music i listen to is classical if it was the other way around 95% r&b jazz rock then the eros mk11 is the way to go. just as of interest Tireguy is helping me put together a virtual system , playboys paradise i had chose the accuphase dp75v($11000!!) , tireguys response was "and money spent on the dp-75 could have been saved with an audio aero capitole getting VERY similar results, so close in fact i wish i had a capitole over my accuphase gear(at the same savings i bought the accuphase for!)" !!! i mean i always thought the more expensive the more the better. i mean ACCUPHASE!!! thanks for the tip Detlof , i think allitle too large for my room.
Gasman and Plato just sent emails says Gasman "eros produce crisp sound...BUT 'beam' to a single seat" says Plato "M-3 needs GOBS of power to make them sing , but sound INCREDIBLE"..."I feel the EROS ARE the best on 'synergistic symphonic dynamic' sound" ... so disreguard previous post due to further credible witnesses. if anyone follows all the posts, seems INNERSOUND's EROS MK11 is as close as i'm going to get to 'dynamic synergistic symphonic sound'... i guess you are wondering how i came up with this imaginary phrase. my old Philips Dynamic 475 actually has a clear bubble tweeter its a mini electrostat, never could figure out why it produced mid+highs like no other tweeter when i bought them in 1982 its that quality of sound i was after (its a 2 way 6 in woofer, bass ok) puts b&w tweeter to shame. thanks for everone's interest tweekerman
Ljgj these aren't the ones that were for sale in the times picayune about 2 months ago, and i called, but this was before i ever knew what a electrostat was. NOW i know ,but honestly they are too big , need too much juice and i'm after the eros mk11. thanks anyway...by the way how much?
Travis have you heard the Quad 988($5000) or the expensive 989($9000) as compared to the eros . Plato emailed to say ""i guess great dynamic capibilities does not rate as highly on your own list of priorities" nicely said.(talking about that cabinet speakers vs. esl) so yea i can make the sacrifice on low end for what i get in mids and highs. can't touch the 989 even though it has the bass. Plato as well said to "stay away from the ML cls11z".i guess what i need to know as well is if the Innersound's are about the same efficiency as the Quad's988?
Sedond alright! went to VMP's web, very interesting design the RIBBON MONITOR 1 ($1600 pr.) really looks like this might do the trick.the vmp RM1 has DUAL 8' SOLID GRAPHITE woofers AND a 10" PASSIVE RADIATOR (graphite as opposed to horrible sounding polyplastic sweet,sweet) really packs a punch on ALL the lower octaves!! WOW! very hard to resist buying the erosmk11 or the quads 988. however the price of the vmp's $1600 (on the 40's i saw no info. so ?) as opposed to $6000 on the eros and $5000 on the quads , gives me a bunch more to spend on rest of system. and the 7' ribbon midrange + spiral ribbon tweeter, nice! ...VMP,RM1..VMP,RM1..VMP,RM1..VMP,.......thanks tweek
Sbindeman i've heard the ever so popular maggies 1.6, was npt impressed. i've just listened to ML's ascent with 8year old conrad johnson monos took lots if juice to get ANY volume. someone said that the sound labs sound great but only the innersound megawatt amp or monarchy's big mama can give the sound labs what they need. i want the new pathos due out in may for the beautiful sound its supposed to produce. so i'm planning to fly out to san antonio to hear what are supposed to be phenomonal ELS speakers, the QUAD's 988,the 989 are supposed to be better BUT are 1)very large 2)very expensive 3)very thirsty,and if these don't sound like $6000 speakers then i'm going to do what Sedond suggests go with the AMP Ribbon Monitor 1 ($1500).
Mr. Ljgj Please explain what you mean to say. I told you that my QUEST for the 21ST century would take me to unknown lands. All ya'll can stay at home I'm a "man on a mission" as they say. The kits may be beyond my intelligence but its below my intelligence to pay for some of the LOUDspeakers built for the masses. I always was one for the unique.
Hey Ljgj can you give me a honest opinion as to the charms or lack of in the ribbon/tweet AND the ribbon/mid. I'm focusing on a kit in a MTM 5.25 + RAVEN-2 ($1600) + SUB design or the 626($1600) + SUB. I listen to classical music so i need a big DYNAMIC mid sound. I think the Raven-2 is a mid/tweet/ribbon but not sure. The R-3 is but its $1600 EACH!!! Keep in touch