Electrostatic pros and cons.

I recently saw a feature on the program, "how it's made" on electrostatic speakers and it piqued my interest in them. I was wondering the pros and cons of them, their placement, space needs, sound, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

128x128giantsalami
The RTR ESL tweeters used in the Fulton Model J discussed above by @richopp were the same tweeters ESS used in their TranStatic I and Infinity in their 2000A. Great tweeters, the 6-tweeter array-in-a-box Fulton used was marketed by RTR itself as the ESR-6. If you ever see a pair, snap 'em up! The J's midrange was covered by the Fulton Model 80, a real nice (transparent, uncolored) little 2-way. 
I have no names to drop or unique experiences from history, but do have a pair of Martin Logan Source (entry level) speakers running on a Denon AVR, and they are "magical" in the sweet spot (in my room and to my ears). No measurements required, the sound is beautiful.
I’ve heard Soundlabs with massive Boulder amps as well as Ayon Triton amps, Kingsound (least favorite), and Martin Logan Neolith with an all McIntosh components and a dual firing balanced subwoofer in different rooms at different times. The Soundlabs were impressive but the Martin Logans were the best over a number of listening sessions. They have a large sweet spot and great micro detail and also had the widest dynamic range with the subs integrated well into the system. It was a tough decision to go with ESL or Magnetic Planer Speakers, I made the decision based on my sound preferences and the true ribbon tweeter in the Magnepan 20.1. Both types of planer speakers are amazing in my opinion and just like all speakers have their specific challenges with set up and room placement/interaction. That being said, I had my 20.1s in an 800sq/ft studio and they sounded great. Not as good as my current space which is much bigger but really good nonetheless. Planers act as line sources and I think they get a bad rap for needing a ton of space or power to operate corrrectly. If you get an amp that will double down in power from 8/4 ohms and can find one that gives stats to 2 ohms you have plenty of power to hear what they can do unless you listen at ear splitting volumes.

Try them out and have some fun!
Ive had several ML's over the years, the key to getting the most sound is room placement out from the walls and having a high bias current amplifier.   Its amazing how same speaker can sound on the same amplifier just by playing with the bias.  No matter what they will never be "loud".   They can be pretty awesome if set up right.

Post removed