Electrocompaniet EMC1 vs. Shanling T200 Lvl 1 Mod

I am considering these two players and would like advice from anyone who has heard both. I must admit the attraction to the Shanling is mostly appearance, however Chris Johnson of the Parts Connexion is offering an extensive modification to the player that is claimed to be nothing shy of fabulous. Any input greatly appreciated. Thank you.
audiofankj

Showing 1 response by ljgj

If you are headed for the SACD format in the future than the Shanling is your only choice between these two. Do not get the Shanling without the upgrades. I own the EMC 1 up and the Shanling 100 - the Shanling looks great and sounds good. The EMC looks good and sounds great. I bought a Chord DAC 64 and now they both sound better as transports than stand alones. The Shanling 200 doesn't always read the SACD disc on its first try. A friend has one. It does sound very good on REDbooks with the upgrades but doesn't decode HDCD. The 100 with the upgrades would be more versatile in the redbook area. Another friend has the Musical Fidelity Tri-or NU -Vista SACD. It seems to be extremely good but still in break-in.