Electrocompanient EMP-2 vs. Oppo BDP-103

I was surprised to discover recently that looking inside the $3500.00 Electrocompanient EMP-2 Univeral Blu Ray player that its using the exact same high quality power board and transport thats inside the $500.00 Oppo BDP-103. The processor signal board in the EMP-2 looks average and I guess the much higher price is paying for the pretty face plate. Another example that Oppo player's are a steal. Curious if Oppo is providing OEM services for Electrocompanient and making their EMP-2.
audiozen

Showing 3 responses by audiozen

Zd542...you missed what I wrote and need to read over again. I'm talking about two separate boards in the EMP-2. The high quality main power board that is in the front left of the unit and the signal processor board in the back. The power board in the front is an exact twin of the power board in the left front of the Oppo BDP-103. The Transport housing in the EMP-2 is identical to the one in the Oppo. Looking at both boards and the layout work in both units, it appears the Electrocompanient is a ripoff for the outrageous price of $ 3500.00. But of course you get a better machined face plate and those pretty gold buttons on the front.
Audiojan..There is no difference at all with the power board regarding parts in the EMP-2 and the BDP-103. The parts are identical since they are twin boards from the same manufacturer. All you have to do is look at the interior shots on Bing and Google images. It is the same power board with identical parts with no changes whatsoever. Ii appears the Engineer's at Cambridge Audio have just surpassed Oppo toppling the BDP-105. Those busy bee's have just come out and upgraded the Azur 751BD with their newest model, the Azur 752BD using a switching mode power supply. Recent listening tests in London put it head to head against the Oppo BDP-105 finding the Audio playback
superior to the Oppo. The interior board work is stunning as is the Oppo and around the same price at $1200.00 Wouldn't surprise me if the new Cambridge equals the Electrocompanient EMP-2. As far as sub $1000 player's, the Oppo BDP-103 has no rivals.