Electrical Ground to Water Pipe, No Earth Ground

I live in a house built in 1965 that has an older electrical panel, the with the spring-loaded breakers. I had an electrician to come out and do an inspection of my home's electrical system yesterday. When he checked out the panel, he noticed there is no earth ground to the panel. There is a ground wire going to the main water pipe, however. The electrician told me that the system is electrically safe with a ground only to the water pipe, but if a car were to hit a nearby utility pole we could end up without electricity to our home. He said that if we had an earth ground, if a car were to knock out a nearby utility pole we would still have power.

I want to get an earth ground installed and plan to do this. My question:

Does not having an earth ground to my panel all these years cause a negative effect on the various audio systems I've had? Does this affect things like bass weight, or solidity of the image etc?
Thanks.
foster_9

Showing 1 response by zd542

"The electrician told me that the system is electrically safe with a ground only to the water pipe, but if a car were to hit a nearby utility pole we could end up without electricity to our home. He said that if we had an earth ground, if a car were to knock out a nearby utility pole we would still have power."

I think your electrician may have been shocked a few times.