EL34 used in Rogue M120 as driver tube????

Hello
I own a pair of Rogue M120 Magnums and just found out you can use EL34 as driver tubes instead of 6550, KT88, and KT90 tubes. I understand that the EL34's will be driven hard and will not last like a KT88, but alot of Audiophiles seem to love the EL34, so my interest is peaked. Has anyone tried this in their Rogues? While were on the subject what is considered some of the best sounding EL34's and why? (Both NOS and current production)
Thanks friends
dudeaudio
dudeaudio

Showing 1 response by gthirteen

I have a ROgue Tempset, and after consulting with the guys at Rogue (best customer service I've ever experienced) I decided to give them a try. The mids are a bit richer, using ElectroHarmonix El34s than the EH 6550 (I love this tube) but since I have bookshelf speakers without tons of bass, for me, the extended bass of the 6550 was better in my system than the softer bass of the EL 34. But the mids are nice!!!

SO, I still switch back and forth, but for me, the 6550 stays put most of the time.
I haven't tried NOS output tubes, but I agree- stick with reliable dealers, especially for the NOS stuff, and ESPECIALLY for NOS output tubes.

AS far as NOS, the Mullards are supposed to be superb.
New, I'd try the EH tubes first, since they're cheap, then maybe Svetlanas, which are also cheap.

Try Audioasylum FAW section, under "Joe's tube Lore" for more info than you can digest on tubes.

good luck!

Joe