EL34 in a 6550 amp?

I just got a Jolida 502 int. that uses 6550/KT88 tubes, but I was wondering if I could use EL34 tubes as well?
koestner

Showing 1 response by mechans

Some amps that take EL 34s and can also accomodate KT-88s KT-90s KT77s and of course the 6CA7. Some will tell you that even the auto biased amps require some manual biasing to do this. It certainly makes intuitive sense that different bias voltages to the screens and plates for each tube would be required for them to operate optimally.
None the less I use KT-88s in my Jadis DA 60 which originally came to me used with EL 34s. I am not certain what it was built with however. I was informed KT 88s would work. They sound fabulous and are my favorite in this amp (GL reissues).
My thinking though was that transformers were more or less tube specific but I could just be running them at a lower plate voltage or something?? than is optimal. The bias is automatic and hard to set manually I have been told.
The only tube I have not rolled into this pin out is the KT-66. I am afraid to try that but understand that this whole family of power tubes was derived from that one.
Please correct me if I am wrong.