Edge NL12.1: what smallish floorstanders/monitors?

Room is 13x20 with speakers on LONG wall, so speakers
2-3 feet from wall, chair 7-8 feet away from speaker.

Most important: good, smooth vocals and ability to deal
reasonably well with older modest-quality CDs without scraping the paint off the walls.

Hate: etch/buzziness (especially on voices), searing highs, boomy/uncontrolled bass, or pushy/forward mids and fatigue of any kind.
Don't want to bi-wire.

Only source: EMM SE digital. I really don't want to change the rest of my equipment (my trusty, quiet, cool, Edge NL12.1).

Want a do-no-harm speaker. Thank you.
rgs92

Showing 2 responses by zephyr24069

I am glad to meet other happy NL12.1 owners; I love my NL amps, they are extremely impressive and have no limits from what I can find with any music (pipe organ, large symphony, Japanese/Chinese/Korean/African drumming, hard rock, prog-rock, techno, electronica, jazz, etc...) in the extremely deep bass and stunning mids and highs that they are able to render. They are capable of huge dynamic range while still rendering with finesse whenever needed. I've owned G8's, G8 monos and lastly the NL12.1s while listening to many others along the way; they are my amp of choice for the long-term.
I own Edge NL 12.1's and now first-hand why you want to keep your amp! I don't have experience with the Vienna or Sonus speakers noted above however I would suggest you are definitely on the right track with the above recommendation towards Eggleston Works Fontaine II's. They are extremely good overall, have great imaging, mid-range, highs, etc...without the harsh attributes you mention above. If you are into classical, jazz, small ensemble works, etc....I don't see you regretting that choice. You may also wish to consider (if you can find a pair), Legacy Audio Victoria LE's.

I'm sure there are many other great choices including some of the Totem and other lines that won't break the bank and yet give you what you are looking for however I can only comment on what I've heard directly. What's your budget?

Good luck!