Ebony Denon DL 103. 50 years too late?

OK, so this review is about 50 years too late. Just because the party is almost over doesn't mean it is too late to show up. Better late than never when it come to something good. 

Anyway, I picked up a new DL 103 and let it sit in the box until I got around to buying a slide in ebony body for it. I have no idea how this cartridge sounds sans the woodie, but I've read great things about replacing the plastic body with a woodie, or even an aluminum body. Heck, some reviews say the aluminum is even better, but I went with the ebony. 

After watching the you tube video on how to perform the surgical procedures I bought an exacto knife and within 10 minutes I had my modded cartridge. It certainly looked good but how would it sound is the question that needed to be answered. So, immediately I went on my way to my modded out Thorens TD 150, took my Soundsmith Ruby cantilevered Benz Glider off and replaced it with the ebony DL 103.

In short, I was immediately impressed. This cartridge is plan darn fun in all the best ways. It has punch, midrange presence, sweet and organic treble and just plain plays music. Comparing it to my Benz Micro M.9 it lacks the extension in both direction, as well as the resolution. However, what this inexpensive cartridge does to the enjoyment factor is really surprising. It just touches the soul in a way that is hard to explain and might be all the cartridge one needs if musical satisfaction is the ultimate goal. 

Really, this is one freaking great deal. for $200, if you are a smart shopper. You get some really good sound that reproduces what is in the groove in a way that really expensive cartridges do. Again, it falls short in extension and resolution, which can be easily heard when you A/B it with a much more expensive cartridge, but what it does within its own context is remarkable in its own right.

Bottom line, if you have a phono amp that can handle low out put moving cartridges you owe it to your self to try one of these and make it a part of your cartridge stable. It will easy become a cartridge you will turn to when you want to just enjoy tunes. Heck, it might even become your primary cartridge. 

Don't let another 50 years go by before you try it out and don't let the low price fool you. This cartridge could sell for much higher and still be a great value. For now it is my favorite Denon. 

I'm going to play it until I wear out the diamond, which should be around 300 hours, which is normal for it profile. After which, it will get sent off to the Soundsmith for some magic. I've heard great things about the ruby upgrade and if it is true, I might be thinning out my stable.
raymonda

Showing 2 responses by williewonka

+1 for the Soundsmith retip

I started with a standard Denon DL103 and was hooked

I then purchased a DL103 directly from Soundsmith, already mod’d with the contact line stylus + ruby cantilever and have never looked back.

I found setting it up with a Mint Best Tractor provided the best performance from this cartridge.

Once it was setup correctly the imaging was spot on and the details arte superb.

For me, it is one of the best values out there.

The main advantage with the conical stylus, alignment is far less critical and you can use one of the free protractors out there for great results.

Whichever you choose the tunes will sound great with a Soundsmith 103.

As for the head shell mod - I took an alternative DIY approach with my original conical 103 - I epoxied it to a brass mounting plate. The mounting screws attach to the plate and not the plastic body of the cartridge. The effect was much like applying a new head shell - either wood or aluminum. Improved details and clarity, better bass control and extension, improved image, faster dynamics and smoother highs.

Some of the improvements were due to the increased mass of the cartridge, making it a better match to the arm, but I believe much of it was due to the improved head shell rigidity which reduced head shell vibrations.

Best $12.50 I’ve ever spent on my system :-)

I since applied the same tweak to the Soundsmith version and the results were even better.

At $229 starting price the 103 very good value and they sound great on the right arm.

But with all the mod’s available out there, it’s a bit like a Rega Turntable - they’re pretty darn good out of the box, but you can tweak it to amazing levels of performance.

Details of both my 1981 tricked out Rega Planar 2 TT and the DL103 mounting plate mod can be seen here...
http://www.image99.net/blog/files/category-turntable-mod0027s.html
http://www.image99.net/blog/files/category-denon-dl-103.html

Happy listening
Ehtoo, let us know how it improved.

There's another guy in Italy that rewinds the coils, etc...

From what I have read the improvements are significant and it can hardly be called a 103 at that point

Question,  wouldn't it be cheaper to buy another brand?

Regards