EAT E-Glo Petit vs. Rogue Ares

For use with an AT Art9. Like the astetics and adjustibilty of the EAT, have heard mostly positive reviews of it.

I have a Rogue Cronus Magnum and like the brand. It tops out at 64db gain. Older design and less adjustability. Supposed to be really good tho.
bajaed
"For use with an AT Art9."

If you're going to use the XA version @.2mv,  64db gain may have you cranking the volume higher=noise and not hearing the cart's potential Otherwise, you're fine with the .5mv XI model..

I used the 1st gen ART9 with 60db . A stand alone phonostage will  be an upgrade, if that's what you're curious about.
I have a pretty new, original Art9 so I'm sure 64 would be enough but I would like to have more in reserve just in case. I currently use a Jolida JD9. My arm is a Pro-ject 9C (not CC) on a Music Hall 7.1.
Oops, my bad, it was right there! Ok so, ART 9. I agree with tablejockey, the XA version at 0.2mV with 64dB gain will probably leave you cranking preamp volume more than you like (if, like me, you prefer to listen at a hearty volume level). 70dB gain is a better target for that model. The 0.5 mV version would be perfect at 64dB.

The Jolida JD9 has been around for a long time, and the gain "spec" of 95dB has always struck me as ridiculously way too high, like they must have printed that in error, or as a joke, and nobody has every bothered to call them out or correct it? That positively can't be right. I'm sure you'll be very happy with any of the phono stages being discussed here as an upgrade.
Well my budget was $1,500 and the dealer said the EAT would be a great buy at that price but going to a 2k Ares would be a good step up and the $2,800 Ares Magnum a really great step up.

I'd like to stay at $1500 unless the Ares is a pretty major step up over the EAT. I could do Magnum upgrade later if I chose the Rogue.
Not to make an enemy of your dealer, but Ares phono stages, in various configurations, show up frequently on the used market in the 1100 - 1800 price range. And Rogue provides such great support for their products, you don’t really need a warranty or 1st ownership to have good peace of mind.

Again, Rogue used to offer the 1254 upgrade without the other Magnum upgrades, for ~ 50% of the upgrade price ($400). And that 1254 alone will give you at least 80% of the Magnum’s full sonic benefits, plus an extra 6dB of max gain.

The EAT uses Lundahl SUT for extra MC gain, 12ax7 for RIAA stage, and FET output stage - I think this is the 1st phono stage I’ve heard of with all 3 used together. The Lundahl used is listed as LL1932 but they must have meant LL1931 (no such LL1932 is listed by Lundahl)? Personally I prefer the Cinemag 1254 over Lundahl LL 1931.

The Hagerman Trumpet MC is also a super buy at under $1500 :)