Early stages of choosing replacement floorstanders

My room: Hard floors, hard walls, 12X19X8.

Material: Movies/TV most of the time, not critical sound. When I'm listening to music it can be Dire Straits, Enya, Nora Jones, Pink Floyd...I'm actually expecting my enjoyment of a wider spectrum to increase with a good enough system that will be involving.

Size: I have an accepting wife, but I do have a wife so living around the speakers is a factor. I can pull them into the room to a degree, but something closer to the wall is better. What I'm replacing is about 40X17X15, and I can go a little taller, mainly looking to slim down (seems to be the way speaker construction is going anyway, so that's ok)

What I've listened to so far:
PSB Synchrony 1's and Imagine T2's. Liked them both, pleasantly surprised by how good they sounded. The Sychrony has been a little enigmatic - occasionally I've felt it sounded slightly veiled, then other times it hasn't. Electronics and placement has been the same

Theil 2.7's - I think that was the number. Possibly due to placement, but they left me cold.

Vandersteen Treo's - Liked them very much. They were obviously far better set up, in their own room, with about $15K+ of Ayre electronics behind them. Staging was wonderful, involving, very impressed, but tempered by the disparity of set up and associated equipment.

Focal 1028Be - read some reviews, and stumbled onto a dealer with them on display. His set up most closely resembled my setup at home. Powered by Marantz. Liked them very much as well. Heard details and air in some of my recordings I had never heard before..(like the change of direction of the bow across strings, or so it seemed. Details like that) Involving and engaging. I am concerned about that tweeter in my 'live' room though. Definitely pushing the limits of size.

Various B&W's in months past - liked most of what I heard, but would need to relisten in light of more recent speakers I've auditioned.

the questions I'm throwing out to any past/present owners of these is how flexible can I be with placement, can I keep them within 18-24 inches of back/sidewalls? Should I be cautious of rear ported vs front?
Should I choose the speakers I like best regardless of store setup/placement, and then treat my room once I have the speakers, or consider the room heavily in my auditioning before I buy (would that Be tweeter on Focal become to strident in a more live room? Avoid metal dome tweeters? etc).

Budget is less of a concern than finding what I can live with for a while - I'm replacing 25 year old mains now - and used is viable for me. What I've listened to has ranged from 3500-8500. My sources are streaming or discs through an Oppo BDP103, Yamaha receiver for HT, to an Odyssey Stratos. I also have a Hsu ULS15 sub for movies.

I don't expect definitive answers, I'm looking to glean usable information from the wealth of knowledge and experience here that I don't have. Thanks in advance
english210

Showing 1 response by zd542

"Vandersteen Treo's - Liked them very much. They were obviously far better set up, in their own room, with about $15K+ of Ayre electronics behind them. Staging was wonderful, involving, very impressed, but tempered by the disparity of set up and associated equipment."

I have a lot of experiance with Vandersteen. You can get incredibly good sound out of a pair of 2's or 3's. Don't rule them out just because their not expensive. They also give you a lot of options with it comes to placement. Using the back tilt and the gain controls on the crossover, you should be able to get them to sound good in just about any reasonable location.

Just to give an example, I'll use my main system. I have the 2's and the 3's. Currently, I'm using the 2's because they work a little better in my room. Also, I have 2 Vandersteen subs that help out a lot. For amps, I have 2 Ayre V-5's. My digital source is a Wadia 861SE that sometimes goes directly to the amps, and at other times, goes through an Aesthetix Calypso. Even though all of those components are much more expensive than the speakers, the Model 2's have no problem keeping up. They're not a weak link in the system.

"Should I choose the speakers I like best regardless of store setup/placement, and then treat my room once I have the speakers, or consider the room heavily in my auditioning before I buy (would that Be tweeter on Focal become to strident in a more live room? Avoid metal dome tweeters? etc)."

Yes. Pick the speakers you like best unless you have a very difficult room. I find that in the upper frequencies, problems are delt with using proper equipment selection. As the frequencies get lower, room treatment becomes more of a factor. You'll find, though, that there can be exceptions that require that you do things differently, depending on the situation.