Early SOTA vs New Something: Conundrum

Hiya,

In a nutshell: 

I have a Series I SOTA Star from prior to 1986. I've had it about 12 years. It has early AudioQuest B300 cartridge.  The Sumiko MDC-800 Arm is the best part of the unit. No modifications. No maintenance ever as far as I know.

The Arm was installed where a previous arm sat (not by me) and is not positioned correctly. 

It needs at least a new cartridge. But after a chat on the phone with SOTA, it sounds like after these years (plus the arm mis-location)  it needs a bit more than that. Upgrades, adjustments etc...

I could do a new cartridge, but it appears a waste without doing other needed work to the TT.

Cartridge, Tonearm board with other needed upgrades I'm looking at about the price of a new table. Such as a Technics 1200G or some such version of.

Time to jump ship? Or I could ignore it all and continue to run it as is. It honestly doesn't sound horrible. Not great either. But bad enough I don't play vinyl much anymore in favor of CD- digital

I do have an extensive LP collection and wouldn't mind listening to it...

Cheers,

RW

128x128rwbadley

Generally speaking upgrading/updating/refurbishing a good older piece of gear is less money than going out and buying something new. So you need to compare whatever Sota has quote you for the upgrades with what a new table would be. You may indeed need a new cartridge but that table is certainly doing your current cartridge, and arm, a disservice.

SOTA sent me a price list of updates and repair service I’m afraid I got a bit of sticker shock. That’s what got me started thinking of the Technics (for one) as it would be similar price or less all in. I just don’t know side by side if the SOTA has better potential for same money. 

The advantage of upgrading your SOTA will make it equivalent to a new table.  Getting that arm inspected and properly installed will allow whatever new cartridge you choose to shine.  I would upgrade your table and decide on a cartridge that fits your arm and phono preamp. You will rediscover your old collection!

Thanks for all the replies

I have taken a first step by ordering an AT ART9XI cartridge

The tonearm is solid even if it's not in optimal position.

This will show me what I can expect going forward with the SOTA as-is.

Or, to see what is SOrTA deficient (haha see what I did there?! ;-) and what repairs for SQ are needed.

If I end up getting a different table I will at least have a good cartridge to go on it.

Cheers,

RW

I found this in a similar thread:

gyneguy225 OP

83 posts

I spoke to Donna today, and she still recommends the Origin live tonearm.

>I found out that there are a number of upgrades for my 30 year old SOTA for about $3000 total, but I'll still have a 30yo turntable. I'm stepping back a bit, and considering that it will cost me a fortune to get the analog system to sound anywhere near as good as my digital. So, I'll see how it sounds with the Kiseki cartridge, and decide whether to go forward from there or give up.<

yes I agree, We are on the same page it appears