Early 1970's rock: Name some of your favorites

I've been listening to a local FM station a little more recently and have been enjoying some of the "flashbacks" that they've been playing. I'm primarily talking about stuff from Bowie, Roxy Music, Velvet Underground and yes, even the Stones, etc...

As such, i thought it would be neat to dredge up the past and ask some of you to contribute a "few" of your favourite albums from this time. This might also help others find some "gems" that may have been overlooked. Just remember, we're talking early to mid 1970's, not your favourite rock albums of all time. Sean
>
sean

Showing 2 responses by tweakgeek

Hallelujah!

Get your hands on an old issue of NME or CREEM from 1975, and you will find writers expressing a common belief that the popular music of the early 70’s was embarrassingly inferior to that of the 60’s. A more recent critical appraisal of that era holds that, in the early 70’s, we were actually in the midst of an under appreciated golden age.

This revisionist history is absolutely correct. I don’t know where to begin. David Bowie was making the best music of his life. Marc Bolan was churning out records that were just as good, if not better, that Bowie’s. For the love of Jehovah folks Raw Power by Iggy and the Stooges! Need I mention the first few Roxy Music albums, King Crimson, or the astonishingly great first four albums by Blue Oyster Cult (because BOC later became such a thoroughly crap band, these fine early albums are now largely forgotten.)
While I am on the subject, how about the birth of Heavy Metal? Has anybody really made better mindless hard rock albums than Black Sabbath did in the 70’s?

Remember folks; this was a time when Nashville made music with soul...before it became an assembly line churning out bland muzak for Reagan’s brain-dead America.

The early 70’s were also primetime for Soul and Funk. Curtis Mayfield began his solo career. In Philadelphia, Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff were producing some the greatest pop singles I’ve ever heard (the output of Gamble and Huff is well represented on Rhino Records outstanding “Didn’t it Blow Your Mind!” compilation series). The outrageous records released by George Clinton & his cohorts are legendary among collectors and music lovers.

In Jamaica, there was the rise of “Roots” music (still, unfortunately, the only music from Jamaica to sell big to white boys in the US), and also the birth of dub, and the ascendancy of Lee Perry and his Black Ark studio.

Did I mention Tom Waits? For that matter, the records released by Van Morrison during this period were, as we have come to expect from the man, totally brilliant.

Now that I think of it, the Mick Taylor era Rolling Stones put out some albums that weren’t half bad either.

Put it this way: I’d trade the entire musical output of the 1980’s for that of just one year, I don’t care which, of the early 70’s.

1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1975: I raise my overflowing glass of 100 proof Springbank to each and every one of you.