Early 1970's rock: Name some of your favorites

I've been listening to a local FM station a little more recently and have been enjoying some of the "flashbacks" that they've been playing. I'm primarily talking about stuff from Bowie, Roxy Music, Velvet Underground and yes, even the Stones, etc...

As such, i thought it would be neat to dredge up the past and ask some of you to contribute a "few" of your favourite albums from this time. This might also help others find some "gems" that may have been overlooked. Just remember, we're talking early to mid 1970's, not your favourite rock albums of all time. Sean
>
sean

Showing 4 responses by duanegoosen

You guys really know how to pick em'. Lot's of damn cool choices. You couldn't have gone to the same high school I went to. When the addiction to hit unused nerve endings really started to kick in, the following records paid off big:
Kraan/Andy Nogger
Good God/Good God (vinyl only)
Guru Guru/Guru Guru (pink beadwork cover)
Henry Cow/ Legend
Eloy/Floating
Embryo/Rocksession
Alquin/Mountain Queen
Van der Graaf Gen./Pawn Hearts
Darryl Way's Wolf/Saturation Point
Can/Future Days/Tago Mago/Ege Bamyasi
Coeur Magique/Wakan Tanka
New Trolls/UT
Most of these are surprisingly well recorded given their release period, and musically, (of course I'm totally objective!)they all have unique narcotic properties that seem to never stop growing.
SIR LORD BALTIMORE!!!... That's some paint blistering testosterone laced rock candy goodness. During that time Budgie, Ursa Major (guys who went on to play on Lou Reed's R&R Animal), Dust, Uriah Heep (1st 3 records), Patto, Collosseum, Nova (Blink), Armegeddon (some ex Steamhammer guys) and A.F.T. (Automatic Fine Tuning) also helped to keep the buzz going. PFM/Cook and Focus/Moving Waves didn't hurt much either.
Hey Sean,
Thanks for the info, I never knew that about Marc Bell. I remember he was kind of a studio player on a few now obscure rock lps I had. I liked the 2nd record (Hard Attack) alot more. The original issue had a killer reproduction of one of Frazetta's best paintings on the cover. The cd I have on Repertoire sounds like a hack job on the digital transfer. Do you know what ever happened to Richie Wise (their #@%*** crazy guitar player)? Were you ever into Sir Lord Baltimore? Their 1st is one of the best head whompin' early 70's power trio records ever made. The 1st Patto kicks some serious ass too.
Darryl Way's Wolf, especially the Saturation Point Lp. John Etheridge who went on to Soft Machine after Holdsworth left really tears things up on all 3 Wolf records.

Hmmm...Kiss Army, shortly after that one came out a co - worker at Crystalship, (a Portland Ore. record store) took a sticker out of one of the sleeves and changed the K on the emblem to a P. Then he pinned it on his baseball cap to display the fact that he was a member of Piss Army. He wore the thing during his shift every day for months. He even wrote a letter to the Kiss fan club in an effort to convince Gene Simmons that he should drink lighter fluid or inject it into his bladder so that he could urinate fire into the front ranks of his adoring conscripts. Seems like a shame that Mr. Simmons missed this golden opportunity to live up to his full artistic potential.