Earliest serial Garrard 301 Hammertone known?

On January 01, 2011 One of my best friends gave me a Garrard 301 Hammertone #2074. I've collected (and regretfully parted) with a few Garrards over the years, but this one is in excellent condition - and by far the earliest Garrard that I know. Out of personal interest, I'm just wondering if anyone has seen a lower serial number 301 still in use today? Thanks to all, and happy listening!

Bob Cameron
cameronbs
I have #2265 which has a flat brake disc, which looks to be made of aluminum...just to add to the confusion ;)
Just saw one sell on epay that was restored by Classic #1522 but the finish was original but the platter was a later strobe cut one not the original. Not a complete original machine that still fetched £1399.90. Wow
Hey Dubemaster;

I noticed you were looking for information on another site for cleaning a hammertone finish. Try Turtle Wax rubbing compound (red) and polishing compound (white). Although the product label claims to remove scratches between finish coats - and it certainly will - you're not trying to do this at all. The intent is to remove the dirt and patina without compromising the lacquer clear coat. Worked very well for me. Takes a lot of patience and a light touch. About two hours time.

Jdolehide, I found an occasional ringing with one of my 301's as well. When the unit is switched to "on" the idler wheel engages the pulley, and torque from the motor is instantly absorbed by the motor's three point spring suspension. This causes the eddy current disc to tilt on the same axis as the driveshaft and the disc strikes the eddy current magnet. If I turn it on slowly the noise is eliminated but nevertheless, it does indicate that the motor springs are weakening.

Nice to see you all "keeping the faith" with the Garrards. Never to be deterred - although some would call us crazy.