EAr 834p vs coph nia phono pre amp

I need a new phono pre amp and concidering either the ear 834p or the coph nia. I curently have a music hall mmf-7 with golgring cartridge. the rest of my system includes a rogue 88, old nad intergated used as pre-amp, and tyler acoustics ref monitors. I just fell in love with the sound of tubes and getting back into vinyl. has anyone had any luck with either of these phono pre amps? any other suggestions new or used? I also plan on uprgading my cartridge. Any suggestions on that either?
Thanks,
Brian
caleco
You will love the 834P! One of the best phono stage values out there. You have to spend a lot of money to beat it. I also recommend the Grado cartridges.
I, too, would go with the EAR. The Sept/Oct issue of "The Listener" had a phono stage shootout, inclucing the Coph Nia. It did not come out as well as others, although the EAR was not in their review. Nonetheless, you cannot really go wrong with the EAR.

If you are looking for a unit that can compete with the EAR, you might look at the ARC PH3, Blue Circle BC-23, Linn Linto (more expensive), Plinius Jarrah.

Which Goldring are you using? Is it one of their MM or MC ones? If you are committed to only MM cartridges, then that can affect your phono stage choice, but if you have a MC (and are sticking with MC), then the choices change.
I have a Goldring Eroica mc cartridge. I'm new to analog cartridges and not sure the diferences between mm and mc. Please explain how this determines what pre amp I should get. My problem is i'm using an old Nad integrated amp as a pre amp. I am required to turn the NAD almost entirely up in order to reach a satisfying listening level. I'm looking for something much better and concidered the EAR 834p. I also understand the ARC ph3 is far superior. Please help.

Thanks to all for your responses.
Brian
caleco,

you need to turn up the NAD's volume because it doesn't have enough "gain" to drive the low output from a moving coil cartridge. It would probably be reasonably OK for a moving magnet one. [by the way, there are other threads that explain the technical differences between mc and mm cartridges...do a search]

Most preamps and integrated amps these days don't have the capacity to handle the output from a mc cartridge, although more companies are beginning to do so. If you have a mc cartridge, you really have little choice but to get either a separate phono stage or a preamp that has a good one. Problem is that you might like the general qualities of a preamp but not be so excited about the phono section. Thus, the market for phono stages.

The Goldring Eroica is a nice cartridge, but knowing which phono stage to recommend depends on a number of factors: turntable, amp (NAD in this case), whether you prefer tubes to solid state, and whether you are planning to upgrade any of your components in the forseeable future.

That said, I really don't think you can go wrong with an EAR (you can change the tubes to another brand if you like). I have one as well as a Blue Circle BC-23 (solid state) which I also like. Yes the ARC PH3 is preferred by many. It is more expensive, particularly the newer SE model. Depending on what your system is, the PH3 might be overkill.

With a little more information, we should get this figured out for you! But, before making a purchase, I suggest that if there is good audio dealer near you, that you audition some before making up your mind.
Thanks for the help. I do love the sound of tubes and I think I will give the Ear a listen this week. My curent setup includes a Rogue 88, NAD integrated, Tyler Referance Monitors, and a Music Hall mmf-7. I will probably end up with a Rogue 99 magnum later down the road to replace my NAD. As for now i would just like a simple phono pre to help get me back into vinyl. As Cpdunn99 mentioned the ARC is probably overkill.
Cheers!
Thanks for the help. I do love the sound of tubes and I think I will give the Ear a listen this week. My curent setup includes a Rogue 88, NAD integrated, Tyler Referance Monitors, and a Music Hall mmf-7. I will probably end up with a Rogue 99 magnum later down the road to replace my NAD. As for now i would just like a simple phono pre to help get me back into vinyl. As Cpdunn99 mentioned the ARC is probably overkill.
Cheers!
Let us know what you think about the EAR! I think it would suit you quite well.