EAR 834P or Quad QC24 w/ phono

Hello, all. I have a question regarding a dedicated analog rig that I am putting together.

My turntable is a Rega P25 w/ RB600 tonearm, equipped with a Benz Gold (LOMC). Speakers are 12L Actives (built-in 909 current-dumping amplifier).

I want to place some tubes in the mix, through either a tube phono preamp or a tube linestage w/ ss phono card.

I can plug a phono preamp directly into the active speakers as long as it has a volume control. The EAR 834P does, and it is a great reputation.

However, for far fewer dollars, I could get the QC-24 tube preamp with a built-in ss phono stage. Given that my active speaker are also Quad, this combination may have a better synergy.

Certainly the latter setup offers more flexibility (although I will likely never add other sources) for a cheaper price. But the EAR setup runs my analog signal directly into tubes (except for the step-up, I think).

I won't have the opportunity to compare the components, so I'd like to hear some opinions. What are the benefits of a tube phono preamp (running directly into the amp) versus a tube linestage with a phono card?

Thanks.
johnbender

Showing 1 response by forevermusic414

HI i have a E.A.R. 324 phono pre amp ,very heavy for its size. , i am using it with a chord 3200E pre amp and a rotel RB5000 POWER AMP .i cant describe the quality of the music from my cheap denon DP 1200 turntable .if i were you i would wait save a little more money .you will enjoy the E.A.R , NOT TO MANY PEOPLE KNOW OF CHORD BUILT LIKE A ROCK MY SPEAKERS ARE NOTHING FANCY THE OLD TAD TZ9 REFERENCEE ELITE. I GIVE ALL THE CREDIT TO THE E.A.R. PHONO PRE AMP enjoy