Ear 834P or Decware ZP3 or other tube phono stage

Slowly working up my system from components I've used for some years to better sounding stuff. I'd like some recommendations.

I have a collection of 7000 to 10000 records in it that span all kinds of styles and pressings and condition. I have used a VPI HW19 with a Rega 250 and a bunch of different cartridges over the years. It lives at work.

At home I drive either JBL 4311B or Klipsch KG4 with an NAD 3020 or an NAD 1020 into an NAD 2200. There is an old Scott 299 floating around that gets some use but it needs some help.

Front end stuff is VPI Scoutmaster with a Benz Micro Glider HO, Elac table with some generic Technics cartridge for 78's. I've also been using an NAD PP2 for the second table. I intend on getting a good mono catridge, perhaps one of the Lyras and another armwand to play the monos.

I'd like to get a good phono stage first then some form of tube amp to drive the speakers with instead of the NAD stuff.

Thoughts?
fretshop

Showing 1 response by tfkaudio

I've been an EAR 834p owner for a long time and I think very highly of it. One of its limitations, however, is adjustability. You can do MM or MC cartridge (there is also a MM only model), but you cannot adjust gain, loading, capacitance, etc. If you are planning on doing multiple armwands and different cartridge types, you may find yourself needing that adjustability.
Also, when I saw how many records you have, my first thought was that you might have very old records in your collection with pre-RIAA curves. If so, you might check the Graham Slee phono stages that support multiple equalization curves.

Cheers.

Tom