EAR 834P Impedance?

Hi everyone, Happy Thanksgiving Day!

What impedance does an MC see when I use the MC input on my EAR 834P? It uses tranformers in that setting, so is it something other than 47K? Does anyone know of a way to change the loading?

Thanks
frogman

Showing 3 responses by mingles

I wonder where Dan came up with his MC values. Stereophile measured the 834P and found the following:
Set to MM, the 834P's input impedance was 49.7k ohms in the left channel, 51k ohms in the right. The input impedances for the MC setting were 515 ohms and 516 ohms (L&R). The output impedance measured 524 ohms in the left channel, 538 ohms in the right.
I don't know if Dan's comments were directed at Stereophile or someone else, but the fact remains that EAR doesn't provide an official impedance spec for the 834P in their product brochure or on their website. Stereophile took the time to measure these things in 1997. Their instruments saw an input impedance of 515 ohms and an output impedance between 524-538 ohms. Perhaps the newer version of the 834P has different values. Unless Dan can clear up this confusion, I'll side with instruments and methods that can be repeated and verified. I don't mean to stir up controversy, but if we can't rely on independent analysis of equipment, there's no point in discussing this.