EAR 834P + Bent Audio Stepups = greatness?

I have an EAR 834P unmodified and am constantly reading how this amp is certainly one to be on the short list of anyone who wants a decent entry level phono. I have the deluxe version so it can handle low MC carts. When modified, many claim this unit is exceptional competing with units well past its price point. My question, if paired with exceptional step ups from Bent Audio, would the EAR perform in the same league as higher end units? The EAR has a very short signal path, is very simple so there shouldn't be much to lose from the cartridge to the main amp save for problems with the decent but not wonderful internal step ups. throwing in some of the world's best into the chain, would I see a world of difference or would money be better spent on a new phono outright? By that I mean, should I modify the unit and get the Mu's or would that $1600 or so paired with the 900-1000 I might get selling the EAR get me more on the used market?

Thank you in advance
zanth

Showing 3 responses by rauliruegas

Dear Zanth: I understand that you own over 1K Lp's and this means that you have a good investment on software.
You own a Michel/SME/Koetsu analog rig that tell me you really care about music sound quality reproduction.

At the same time ( with all respect to EAR and EAR owners. ) you own the 834P that almost destroy the cartridge signal integrity: it is heavy colored, noisy ( signal to noise ratio of 66db ), RIAA eq. deviation higher than 1 db, high output impedance, etc, etc, etc.

I think that you want to grow-up on the overall quality performance level when you hear LP's, right?, well if you want it then IMHO is that you forget about the 834P ( and up-grades to it ) or step-up transformers and goes for a real better phono stage with out step ups.
Btw, +++++ " if paired with exceptional step ups.... " +++++

IMHO there is no single " exeptional " SUT at any price/any design, the best step up is NO step up at all.

Like always my advise is that you put your money ( as much you can ) where it counts more: the phono stage, the reward is worth it.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Mike: I don't like the people that give " facts " that are false like the ones you posted.

Here is what you ask me ( by email ) on 03-03-2006:

+++++ " I have been following the thread about your preamp. Mostly, I am curious about your implementation (schematic)........" +++++

and here is what I answer you on 03-06-2006:

+++++ " Dear Mike: Tks to your interest on my phonopreamp. I can't give you the schematics, as a fact we are in the process to get 4-5 patents about.

If you really liked I can send info about and I can build one unit for you. " +++++

I don't want to follow this dialogue with you: I don't like a lying like you. Period.

Raul.
Dear Downunder: IMHO and with all my respect: The fact that you and other people like to hear a heavy colored and distorted audio item does not means is " right ".

Raul.