EAR 834P + Bent Audio Stepups = greatness?

I have an EAR 834P unmodified and am constantly reading how this amp is certainly one to be on the short list of anyone who wants a decent entry level phono. I have the deluxe version so it can handle low MC carts. When modified, many claim this unit is exceptional competing with units well past its price point. My question, if paired with exceptional step ups from Bent Audio, would the EAR perform in the same league as higher end units? The EAR has a very short signal path, is very simple so there shouldn't be much to lose from the cartridge to the main amp save for problems with the decent but not wonderful internal step ups. throwing in some of the world's best into the chain, would I see a world of difference or would money be better spent on a new phono outright? By that I mean, should I modify the unit and get the Mu's or would that $1600 or so paired with the 900-1000 I might get selling the EAR get me more on the used market?

Thank you in advance
zanth

Showing 1 response by pauly

Zanth, a 834P can be made to sound great. The question is, do you have the skills or know who to hire with said skills to do the mods to make it sound great?

09-23-08: Mgreene Once all, as in ALL, the mods are made, it is no longer the "834P" it is a new circuit based on the 834P.

Agreed, there is no such thing as "all the mods". Modifying, changing and enhancing any circuit is without bounds – one can literally turn a Chevy into a space shuttle when it comes to discrete component electronics.

However, debating the merit of such a piece is rather pointless though. Each unit will be largely unique, and as such unheard by most. You'll only end up comparing apples to oranges.

Regards
Paul